Screwed By AES student loans

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Demeter

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to give people a heads up on how student loan companies can screw you so it does not happen to you. I had my loans in deferment while in residency and after I graduated I called my student loan company to find out when I can begin payments. My goal was to pay every bill on time so that i could take advantage of the decreased interest rate that is earned by not never having a late payment. I thought somehow these guys are going to put me in a position to where I would miss a payment, maybe by forgetting to send me a bill etc... To avoid this, I called to set up a direct deposit so that I would not have to remember all these damn student loan payments i get every month. Then today I received a late payment notice. WTF, I thought i set up direct deposit. I called to get this cleared up and the AES rep told that while I was approved for direct deposit it was not applicable to that billing cycle and while I thought that I was making payments I actually was not. Yes, I should have double checked these with my bank records, & yes I am venting. BUt, this is total bullSH*T. The take home message is pay your 1st payments with certified check, know that your direct deposit does not activate during the current billing cycle, and know that AES and the other insurance companies want you to miss your first payment so that they don't have to give you a lower interest rate. I hate these guys

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sorry, that really sucks. Don't blame yourself as I'm sure most would have done the same thing.

I would do everything in your power to talk to a higher up and get your first "late payment" waived.

Thanks for the heads up.

Hup