1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Screwed or not screwed?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by Cofo, Apr 6, 2007.

1. Cofo

Cofo Super Cool Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    :scared: I want to take english1 and chem1 w/lab in the upcomming summer1 session, and then I want to take english2 and chem2 w/lab in summer2 session.......This is the only way I can have all of my pre-reqs completed so that I can apply for the 2010 school year. My situation is that I am currently a freshman taking 12 hours at a community college. After this May, I will have only 12 hours completed...and they are just basics. I took 6 months off between high school graduation and I started my first semester of college this January. I think my english and chemistry option that I gave above is the only way to go if I want to get a GREAT score on the DAT. I am trying to graduate in 3 years. I am making all A's, and I have a very strong will to succeed in school. ........Do YOU think my situation will look either Good or Bad in the eyes of dental school interviewers? I really need help, thank you. Any advice will help!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Cymbidium

Cymbidium Awesome.
    2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    It depends on the school. I wanted to cram all of my pre-reqs into one year (taking summer courses) and my advisor told me it was not a good idea. D- schools like to see a full semester for the pre-req. courses. Also, be aware that some schools discriminate against community college courses. I know Tufts will not accept any CC courses and I think other schools are trending toward this. There was a thread a while back about CC coursework - do a search and check it out.

All that said, it sounds like you're on a great track! And I think rocking the DAT will definitely help you.

4. Nasem

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    No one but the old mightly himself can answer your question... we are not adcoms here so we have no idea what situation looks good / bad for an individual....

However, if your trying to see if we would approve of your situation, the only negative thing I can see is Community college..... I know I know some people here are going to take my head off for saying this, but no matter what people say or which ever friend of a friend of a friend of a friend you knew who took all their pre-reqs at a community college and got 20 acceptance letters all to different dental schools blah blah blah....

Of course Im not saying community college have bad teaching programs, but in the eye or adcoms, they "prefer" the applicant to have completed all thier pre-reqs at a 4-year institude.

5. Cofo

Cofo Super Cool Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Okay...but remember, I said that I am taking just basics at a community college. I am trying to graduate in 3 years, and to do that and have all my pre-reqs done at a 4 year university, I am going to HAVE TO TAKE SOME PRE-REQS FOR DENTAL SCHOOL DURING A SUMMER. What do you all think?

6. chomper

chomper I heart dentistry
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    whats the rush?
    you're a freshman, take your time, have some fun before the horror of dental school

7. 1992Corolla

1992Corolla CheerioKing
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Do it. I would call the schools you are interested in though and see what they say about those CC courses. ALSO because it is a CC (tend to looked at as easier) you better get a 4.0 while you are there just to show them you can handle the 3 credit dental biochem class, etc.:D

If you also finish strong at the university level those CC credits won't hurt. Double check though and ring/visit the dental schools of interest.