doctor in da makin

2+ Year Member
Apr 19, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
So I just found out weeks after sending in my secondary that PCOM did not accept one of the science letters of recommendation. It was a plant based class, but still considered a science class at both my school and AACOMAS so I assumed it would be good to go.

Nope. Apparently it has to be of the "basic sciences."

To make things worse, it was not even letterheaded so it is just not a simple fix.

I really don't know who else to ask now. Has anyone else had this problem?

AnatomyGrey12

2+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2015
Midwest
Status
Medical Student
I had to resubmit one of mine on a letterhead. It really isn't a huge deal they just need to send the letter directly to [email protected] I believe. If you can hurry and find a basic science prof to write you a letter just have them send it to this email. It loaded to my app pretty quick

OP
D

doctor in da makin

2+ Year Member
Apr 19, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
I had to resubmit one of mine on a letterhead. It really isn't a huge deal they just need to send the letter directly to [email protected] I believe. If you can hurry and find a basic science prof to write you a letter just have them send it to this email. It loaded to my app pretty quick
I actually just found someone thankfully. Genetics would count right?

And I'm worried the other schools will email me in a few weeks and say the letter is unacceptable. The good news is that it shows the LOR requirement as complete for all my schools, except PCOM...for now.

OP
D

doctor in da makin

2+ Year Member
Apr 19, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Thank you for posting this! I just checked my app and noticed that my letters "weren't signed and/or on letterhead." I emailed my professors ASAP and hope to fix this through interfolio.

I guess they don't send out emails about these problems, because if it weren't for this post, my app would have never been processed.
What application does it say that for? Like what school?

JB50

I'm really in I swear
2+ Year Member
Jun 30, 2016
Status
Rehab Sci Student
Thank you for posting this! I just checked my app and noticed that my letters "weren't signed and/or on letterhead." I emailed my professors ASAP and hope to fix this through interfolio.

I guess they don't send out emails about these problems, because if it weren't for this post, my app would have never been processed.
AACOMAS or PCOM's APP portal?

0dee

SDN Gold Donor
Gold Donor
2+ Year Member
Jan 16, 2015
Status
Medical Student
You can always e-mail interfolio and ask them to check your letter if it has a signature & a letterhead. That's what I did and the rep e-mailed me back in a matter of 30 mins with the confirmation.

Reactions: TheLeadSeed

Premedguy75

2+ Year Member
Aug 31, 2015
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
I saw the title to this thread and immediately agreed although I was "screwed" for a different reason. I have 5 LORs, (2 science faculty, 1 D.O., 1 M.D. and a family friend nurse anesthetist) but had to withold my secondary due to lack of a third Faculty LOR. I remember reading on their admissions website back in June a line at the bottom of the LOR requirements that said we could contact the dean for possible changes to their LOR policy. As of 8/15/ when I checked, this line had been removed from their website. After inquiring about it, I received a response email saying they no longer accept any changes to the policy. Seems kind of overkill to require THREE faculty letters, one being non-science. At least this is one of the only D.O. schools who have these requirements ( I avoided sending primaries to several others because of this). Anyone else have thoughts?

DameJulie

2+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Will biochemistry letters count as Basic Science letters?

Aug 10, 2013
Florida
I saw the title to this thread and immediately agreed although I was "screwed" for a different reason. I have 5 LORs, (2 science faculty, 1 D.O., 1 M.D. and a family friend nurse anesthetist) but had to withold my secondary due to lack of a third Faculty LOR. I remember reading on their admissions website back in June a line at the bottom of the LOR requirements that said we could contact the dean for possible changes to their LOR policy. As of 8/15/ when I checked, this line had been removed from their website. After inquiring about it, I received a response email saying they no longer accept any changes to the policy. Seems kind of overkill to require THREE faculty letters, one being non-science. At least this is one of the only D.O. schools who have these requirements ( I avoided sending primaries to several others because of this). Anyone else have thoughts?
I just found out I have the same issue. I sent 2 science, 1 DO, and a work letter from a supervisor at the hospital. I'm an RN and I'd imagine a letter from work would say loads more about my character and ability to succeed in a hospital environment instead of another non science faculty letter from 3-5 years ago (not that I'd ever be able to pull off getting one that far back). I could've sworn when I considered applying a while back this was acceptable reading their website but I guess I was wrong. It's probably for the best though so on to the next school I suppose.