Scribe position: would you do it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docelh

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Saw an ad for a really cool volunteer job but with consistently demanding time commitments week-in and week-out. It's an ER scribe. Would be great clinical experience, but the downside is that it's a strict 20 hour per week commitment with potentially random scheduling (like before key exams).

Grades & MCAT preparation obviously come first. Then there's volunteer and important downtime from it all.

Q: Would you guys apply for this position?

Members don't see this ad.

It's actually a very common thing for premeds to do (if there is a program nearby). From what I've heard it's basically a more involved form of shadowing/volunteering combined. At the same time, while it might be cool to talk/write about, it won't make or break your application, so if you think your grades/MCAT will suffer, don't do it.

I have some friends who do this, but are paid. The hours are really rough--irregular shifts, sometimes night shifts. Not for me (at least while in school).

Members don't see this ad :)
Saw an ad for a really cool volunteer job but with consistently demanding time commitments week-in and week-out. It's an ER scribe. Would be great clinical experience, but the downside is that it's a strict 20 hour per week commitment with potentially random scheduling (like before key exams).

Grades & MCAT preparation obviously come first. Then there's volunteer and important downtime from it all.

Q: Would you guys apply for this position?

I would consider it. I was a paid scribe at a decent sized community ER. It was a great experience and I learned a lot. It'll definitely help you in med school...it's helped me.

The place I worked was fairly flexible on scheduling though. We had to work 2 shifts a month minimum, but usually they were good about working around tests and what-not.

We got paid ~$8/hr (give or take). Not a lot, but certainly better than volunteer. You may want to check out other hospitals in your area and see if they offer paid scribe positions...

sounds like they needed to bring on some more paid employees but don't have the money, so they're preying on desperate pre-meds.

always put school first, no matter what. if they tell you to serve the day before an exam, tell them, flat out: NO. you're a VOLUNTEER. you're doing them a favor, and you should not be coerced into anything.

there are plenty of paid scribe positions out there too. i don't know about you, but most people are pretty broke in college, and if they had 20 hours to spare, they'd try to find some gainful employment. i don't think any school could honestly doc you for taking paid employment in a clinical position during school instead of free employment.

assess your needs and how strict this position is and go from there. the pre-med schedule is a little unpredictable, and they should know that.

I would do it, it sounds like a hard postition to corral.

Don't be hesistant because you believe that your grades will suffer. This is a great opportunity, which is not available to everyone. Go ahead and sign-up, try it out, and then decide. If you're not 100%, then drop it and move on.

If you love it, then trust that you will be able to make it fit your schedule. If you don't seize this opportunity now, then you'll never have the choice, however.

You could even use this unpaid experience to apply for a paid scribe position in the future.

Go for it.