ScribeAmerica Didn't Work Out, What Now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AveragePerson.Psych

Reaction score
So I failed my ScribeAmerica final exam and just started looking for new jobs not even 5 minutes after (haha...boo). To be honest I'm feeling heartbroken, but the self pity will go away after a little while. I was really hoping to get this job, but I didn't do as well as I had hoped. There are no retakes unfortunately. What job should I look for now to give me GOOD clinical experience (because I have very little), but also help me pay with my post-bac schooling?

Just to be sure, once you failed the exam you can't ever work for the company again, correct (asking the prior scribes)? It was the only real job in my area that offered such a good experience. I applied for jobs through the hospital, but I NEVER get any calls or interviews.

Thank you for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

How about phlebotomy? It's a short training program, and it's definitely clinical contact. Or try for an MA position in a private office.

Reactions: 1 users
There's plenty of scribing opportunities outside of Scribe America, and I can only relate my experience working for them (very briefly), but you're not missing out not being a part of their organization. Do you have any physicians you shadow or know from volunteering that you can ask regarding MA or scribing opportunities?

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Scribe-X might be an option as an alternative to ScribeAmerica.

Reactions: 1 user
i don't think you actually need formal certification to be a scribe, i've heard of people getting on-site training.

There's plenty of scribing opportunities outside of Scribe America, and I can only relate my experience working for them (very briefly), but you're not missing out not being a part of their organization. Do you have any physicians you shadow or know from volunteering that you can ask regarding MA or scribing opportunities?
I've been volunteering at the local hospital and my supervisor knows several of the doctors so I will ask them if they have heard of any openings. I did start applying to some of the hospital positions and for home healthcare companies. Thank you so much!!

Being a CNA gives you some great patient care experience, and you can get the certification done in 15-20 days.

I've never seen a CNA course that short- most of the ones in our area are 6 weeks minimum, so this may depend where you are.
In some states you can challenge the exam and basically take the certification from self-study. Florida allows this for example. If you fail there's a cool down time before you can take it again though.

In some states you can challenge the exam and basically take the certification from self-study. Florida allows this for example. If you fail there's a cool down time before you can take it again though.
No, you can take actual 15-day accredited courses. Just have to search, I did not self-study, and they provided the 100 hours of in-person training required by the state as well.

If you just need clinical experience, I recommend trying being a hospice volunteer. It was easier to fit into my schedule on top of my other (non-medical) job.

If you have to get paid, yeah all the other posters have ya covered :)

Hospice x10000000. Hospice volunteering has been one of the best life experiences I've had in terms of just being able to do good for people. If I completely divert and don't apply to med school I have every intention of continuing to do it kind of positive.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
ScribeAmerica LMAO.

Out of all the worst experiences in my life relating to medicine, ScribeAmerica might be the worst.

I was taken advantage of heavily when I scribed for them during my gap year many many years ago.

I had a really great application, so I also think they stuck me with the hardest physician, who saw the most patients, as possible.

You dodged a bullet.

They were the most unprofessional organization I have ever had anything to do with. It made the ridiculousness that I experienced as an enlisted member of the US military seem reasonable by comparison, and I didn't think that was possible.

• Haha
  • Love
  • Wow
I advise my students to heavily avoid them when at all possible because the majority have really, really bad experiences.

In my experience, they heavily prey on students who feel like they *have* to get this for clinical experience, they sell a "mentored" experience that will help students get into medical school, and also lean heavily on the fear that students "need" a letter from them to get into medical school, that they use to pressure them into situations they should not be in.

ProScribe isn't any better in my experience.

• Wow
  • Love