Scrub Tops with Khakis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

univlad

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone else think Scrub tops with khakis looks cool? Esp with a dark coloured t-shirt underneath! I love to wear this outfit for days on call. I hate ties! Scrubs are great, but I miss the pockets in my real pants.

What do ya say?

Members don't see this ad.

DEFINITE (definite, if I may emphasize a tad) sign of a non-surgical student/resident. ;) (BTW, cover with a flannel shirt for those cold nights on Peds...another pathognomic sign).

Molybendum....

Depends.

Depends on what you're doing next and the hospital and the prevailing atmosphere. For example, if you have clinic afterwards, generally street clothes are required or at least, preferred.

However, some hospitals may require that you wear civvies *whenever* you are out of the OR or Trauma Bay (ie, when on Transplant here, the attendings require us to wear civvies for all patient contact); other places don't care as long as you are neat and clean, so scrubs are allowed for all clinical situations.

IMHO, there are no hard and fast rules about this - you will be told on Orientation day at your new program (or when starting clinicals) what the accepted rules are.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds like a radiologist's oufit!

As long as you don't mind blood/urine on those khakis!!

I was just gonna say the say the same thing. This is definitely the preferred radiology on call clothes (most rads residents don't get much sleep on call so khaki's are OK). I wear this outfit during my ER shifts and have seen some medicine residents wear it on call.

I'm my hospital they've limited access to OR greens to surgery and anethesia residents only! There are a few pairs allocated to other units that may need them (interventional rad, interven cardiology, burn unit, etc). That means post-call med and rad residents and others don't get to wear them when they're too tired to bring a change of clothing to the hospital for the post call day!!!

Scrubs and khakis? sounds good to me. ;)

It all depends where you're working. Ob/Gyn shifts in khakis? Not practical. ER? Neither. If you're doing some other type of less grisly and not fluid related work, khakis and scrubs are fine.

Srubs and khakis? Dumb.

My entry? I figure you ought to be professional or practical. If you require scrubs for some reason (like going to surgery through the day or being on call), then wear scrubs. Otherwise, wear something professional. It's not a fashion show.

I can't stand seeing all those residents and medical students walking around with their cutsie zip up sweat shirts and srub bottoms or college Ts and scrubs.

You should represent your profession by wearing something respectable and your white coat, unless it becomes impractical.

It seems that the prevailing uniform at my ER program are scrub tops with cargo pants. I don't know how it got to be like that, but it's very convenient especially since while we're working we may go flying on the helicopter for transports or scene responses -- the extra pockets keep our palms, flashlights, stethoscopes and other extraneous stuff secure.

-James

In my opinion scrubs pants = dumb. They're not all that comfortable, don't have good pockets, your pager weighs them down and falls off easier, etc, etc. Khakis and scrub tops are comfortable, more practical for keeping things in your pockets, and looks very professional in my opinion.

A funny story about the other T-shirts people wear on call. One of my interns in medicine during med school had put a random T-shirt on for call instead of a scrub top. Only when one of the attendings mentioned it did he read exactly what the writing on the T-shirt said. It was one of those No Fear kind of T-shirts and said "Commitment to Negligence." Not a good thing to be wearing in the hospital. He took a marker and crossed it out. Pretty embarassing.

Originally posted by Whisker Barrel Cortex
In my opinion scrubs pants = dumb. They're not all that comfortable, don't have good pockets, your pager weighs them down and falls off easier, etc, etc. Khakis and scrub tops are comfortable, more practical for keeping things in your pockets, and looks very professional in my opinion.

Right on, WBC!

Members don't see this ad :)
Scrub top and a khaki bottom is the most *****ic form of hospital wear I have the displeasure of encountering. What the hell, can't make up your mind or something? I understanding the need to be comfortable when on call, but this mix and match business looks ridiculous. And it's always some turd of a resident who wears it too. Why is that? If the concern is about getting something dirty on your body, wear both the scrub top and bottom. Otherwise, wear the khaki with a regular shirt. Why is that so difficult? I know the pay is crap right now, but a decent comfortable shirt to go with them Dockers ain't gonna break the bank.

Ahh, I see. Did I hurt your fragile feeling or do you just feel like being flippant little boy? Since you took my comments personally, I'll make it personal for you so that there will be no mistake. WBC, you look like an idiot wearing your khaki bottom, which is ugly enough as it is, with that scrub top. Have mercy. Tell your mother to pack your favorite Power Ranger pajamas next time you venture into the hospital because, god forbid, should you be uncomfortable while working. And a steamy mug of hot chocolate would be nice also mommy. And your favorite teddy bear, cuz it's so unbearable (heheh) in that cramp call room bed. Waaaahh.:laugh:

Sandpaper, you need to get laid dude. Toolbag.

Originally posted by Kimberli Cox
Keep it civil guys...there are a lot more important issues to be calling names over than what one wears in the hospital. :rolleyes:

YEAH!!! Like people who put 5.0 litre emblems on cars that have a 4 cyclinder engine. I hate those people! They are all weird freaks who don't know their elbow from their.... er... well you get the idea

You know, unless there's some dress code that says I have to wear professional clothes (spoken or unspoken), I would go to work in my actual pajamas if I could. So scrubs are a nice substitute--bottoms, tops, whatever I can get away with.

I personally think everyone wearing scrubs looks like a dork, whether they wear them with khakis or scrub bottoms, or wear scrub bottoms with a T-shirt. I don't happen to mind looking like a dork, though, for the sake of comfort.:D

i just found this thread and all i can think is "wow". hmmm...i wonder why normal people think med students/doctors are dorks. just something to think about as youre trying to decide what scrub top to wear with those khakis. can anything be uglier? oh yeah, maybe those clogs everyone wears.

...slightly worse would be a non-surgical person in non-matching top/bottom scrubs with obnoxiously colored clogs... but THE worse has to be anybody who wears scrubs into a public place - be it a grocery store, a bar, or the most extreme - to the gym and then to actually work out in them! ehheheh...

At my school, one only wears scrub suits (top and pants) or wears professional clothes. One or the other without mixing and matching. Scrubs = OR, on call, post call, surgeons always (Thankfully), Professional = anywhere else.

I think that conveys professionalism at its best.

We have a College of Dentistry, and the students and residents in that program often wear khakis with scrub tops.

By the way, there really is no reason to get all agitated over something as ridiculously minor as this thread is discussing. Its not as if anyone is forcing those who dont want to wear khakis and scrub tops together to do so.
there are worse things to get upset over.

Originally posted by gatorAKM

We have a College of Dentistry, and the students and residents in that program often wear khakis with scrub tops.

I thought the scrub top / khaki bottom look sounded familiar -- that's what my dentist wears and it makes sense since the poor guy gets mouth gunk and tooth dust all over him!

I think I'd be more comfortable in scrubs for 24+ hours at a time and I'll be in a dark room most of the time. If required, I would suck it up and wear professional clothing while on call, but if not I think I'll go the scrubs route for when I'm on call.

I'll have to see what is acceptable/standard for the residents by the program director.

Anyway, I see alot of male medicine residents wearing the khaki bottoms, scrub tops and female residents wearing the scrub bottoms with non-scrub tops.

The surgical residents wear scrubs for the most part except the fellows.

Besides hating when ppl wear scrub tops with khakis...other things that come to mind are:

scrubs in public
disposable shoe covers everywhere
socks with sandals
looney toons t-shirts
bow ties

I like to wear scrub bottoms with a button-up collared shirt and necktie. Sound ridiculous? That is because it is. Just as ridiculous as wearing a scrub top with khakis.

Mixing and matching is stupid. Make up your mind about your outfit and go with it.

Good to see this important thread revived after a seemingly permanent, though slow, death. :laugh:

Jomad5 said:
THE worse has to be anybody who wears scrubs into a public place - be it a grocery store, a bar, or the most extreme - to the gym and then to actually work out in them! ehheheh...

I just have to add that this is one of my biggest pet peeves. Wearing scrubs outside of the hospital is just LAME! :rolleyes:

I am glad to see such a debilitating entity is getting some serious discussion. This disease has plagued the ER of several institutions I have worked in the past several years. The new variant of the disease uses cargo pants... with zippers. I find this appauling and hope that it will not reach epidemic status. I have also noticed a new breed of wardrobe malfunction on the wards... the cell phone clipped onto the scrubs next to the beeper. Nothing like seeing it fly off when the residents are running to a code. Who are you expecting a call from? :laugh:

Scrub tops
+++++ come folded from a shelf in the OR changing area
+++++ go back into a hamper
++ cost to me (lowly underpaid resident) $0

Shirt
--- need to haul myself to the drycleaner
--- cost to me $1.50/cycle + writeoff

Scrub bottoms
++++ come folded from a shelf in the OR changing area
-- 1 little pocket, will loose wallet and keys if one sits down
-- no belt, dosimeter and pager poke into flabby skin
----- freeze my nuts off in drafty corridors

Dockers
-- need to haul myself to the drycleaner
++ pockets for wallet, keys and belt for pager
-- cost to me $4/cycle + writeoff

See, I am cheap and not particularly fashion conscious. If I can get away with it, I will wear the dorky scrub-top and dockers look any day. (Used to work in white jeans and T-shirt, can't get away with that anymore.)

DOtobe said:
I just have to add that this is one of my biggest pet peeves. Wearing scrubs outside of the hospital is just LAME! :rolleyes:

This was my thoughts exactly when I was a med student. Now that I am in residency, I just say screw it I don't have enough time to change. :D

This thread is actually hilarious. People arguing over personal fashion choices. I think the only really dumb thing to wear is a shirt and tie, when you could be wearing scrubs. Don't volunteer to be uncomfortable.
If you don't consider scrub tops with khaki's to be fashionable.....let me into your closet and I'll definitely find something I don't find fashionable.

Wearing scrubs in public...no big deal..have to do it half the time. It's a pain when they won't provide you lockers...I take an extra pair of pants to sometimes put over the scrubs on the way, but when I head home...it's only 2 layers between me and you...so watch out!

Khaki's with scrubs - :thumbdown:

scrubs in the gym - :thumbup:
scrubs in the subway - :thumbup:

Plus, if you're wearing clogs, then at least the scrubs are a way to "explain" the ugly shoes :)

DOtobe said:

As a fashion statement, yes I agree. But frankly I cannot be bothered to go home first to change after a long day/night in scrubs to go to the grocery store or some other ADL.

I can understand if you have to stop at the grocery store on the way home from the hospital (I have done that before), but the thing that bothers me most is when guys wear scrubs to bars. Like they are hoping to pick up more chicks just because they are wearing scrubs :rolleyes:

Does anyone else think sandpaper's rant on WBC sounded like a Dr. Cox rant on JD on the show SCrubs? Frikken hilarious.

DOtobe said:
I can understand if you have to stop at the grocery store on the way home from the hospital (I have done that before), but the thing that bothers me most is when guys wear scrubs to bars. Like they are hoping to pick up more chicks just because they are wearing scrubs :rolleyes:

Scrubs to bars?!@#$%&*? L-O-S-E-R :laugh:

DOtobe said:

Sadly, it probably works for some.

"Yeah, I work at a hospital."

"A doctor? No, not yet, but I'm going to medical school (soon) and will be"

<Swoon>

Kimberli Cox said:
Sadly, it probably works for some.

"Yeah, I work at a hospital."

"A doctor? No, not yet, but I'm going to medical school (soon) and will be"

<Swoon>

this accurately describes what would transpire if I were to run into you at the bar.

The one exception to scrubs in bars being, of course, Friday afternoon Liver Rounds. Where I went to med school in New Orleans, there is a long standing tradition of everyone going out for drinks on Friday afternoons, most notibly on the surgical services. There is this little hole in the wall bar called Joe's across the street from Big Charity and by 4pm Friday it is the place to be. Fifty to a hundred med students and residents from LSU and Tulane crammed into this place all laughing and boozing. Occasionally the younger medicine or surgury Staff would drop by and buy the team a round. So even when you stumbled over from the OR, you did not look like a complete dork in your scrubs, as half the place was wearing them.
Peace.

Liver Rounds... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I wish one of the hospitals I did rotations at had a tradition like that!

i like walking around the hospital with a surgical hat so i dont have to comb my hair