Scrubs and sweating...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dentista777

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I heard darker color scrubs help.

I think any undershirt would be fine?

At my school when we work with patients, the students wear gowns over their scrubs. Even without the gowns, I havent noticed anyone sweating through their scrubs

Have you tried deodorant? They sell ones that make people sweat less

Members don't see this ad :)
On a similar note, do guys have to be shirtless and girls in sports bras during anatomy lab or is that just med school?

Reactions: 1 user
Thompson Tees are supposed to be good for this, though I don't know if the sleeves are too long for the scrubs.

Hey! :)
A friend of mine (dental) is scaring me a bit about scrubs, the fact that you can sweat through them and that it would show (armpit area).

My questions are:
1- are there any brands of scrubs that, from experience, you know that it will not show sweat marks?
2- I heard there are undershirts that do not allow the sweat to show through scrubs..true? what kind(s)?
3-for those that spend a lot of time in scrubs and may have experinced issues with sweat...what are your stories/solutions...etc..???

No a lot of people discuss this issue; and i really think your answers will help a lot of people :)
Please no harsh/rude comments

The practice I work at has dark blue scrubs for us (greys anatomy brand) and I've never experienced sweating in my 5 or 6 years of wearing them. They're also very very comfy and high quality!

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

I experience a lot of sweating in my scrubs during clinic (I wear Cherokee; one of the cheapest brands)... I just keep my arms down lol. Pretty sure an undershirt would help but it's way too hot in my opinion especially when you wear a gown over your scrubs. My SO wears grey's anatomy, it sweats as well. I would suggest to just look at the material it's made out of. I believe there's some scrubs that are water resistant, correct me if I'm wrong.

The practice I work at has dark blue scrubs for us (greys anatomy brand) and I've never experienced sweating in my 5 or 6 years of wearing them. They're also very very comfy and high quality!

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I experience a lot of sweating in my scrubs during clinic (I wear Cherokee; one of the cheapest brands)... I just keep my arms down lol. Pretty sure an undershirt would help but it's way too hot in my opinion especially when you wear a gown over your scrubs. My SO wears grey's anatomy, it sweats as well. I would suggest to just look at the material it's made out of. I believe there's some scrubs that are water resistant, correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:
oh sure and the professors wear speedos
That was funny!

But that post was actually serious. In DO schools, the students have an OMM class where they perform "manipulations" on one another. Men take off their shirts and women down to their sports bras. It's also because they will be performing this on patients in the future that it has something to do with the humility of the patient.

As far as I know, the professor does not teach the course in a Speedo.

That was funny!

But that post was actually serious. In DO schools, the students have an OMM class where they perform "manipulations" on one another. Men take off their shirts and women down to their sports bras. It's also because they will be performing this on patients in the future that it has something to do with the humility of the patient.

As far as I know, the professor does not teach the course in a Speedo.

Last edited:
On a similar note, do guys have to be shirtless and girls in sports bras during anatomy lab or is that just med school?
What kind of school is this??!!!

oh i apologize, i thought you were joking so i joked along. if that happens in DO schools, i sure hope it doesnt happen in dental schools..that would be really awkward and annoying for students
No worries. The speedo thing was pretty funny...
But in dental school you will practice giving injections on one another, so it's a similar concept.

What kind of school is this??!!!

This is why we chose dentistry.

https://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/disrobing-in-clinical-practice-labs.1171355/#post-17146547

Hey! :)
A friend of mine (dental) is scaring me a bit about scrubs, the fact that you can sweat through them and that it would show (armpit area).

My questions are:
1- are there any brands of scrubs that, from experience, you know that it will not show sweat marks?
2- I heard there are undershirts that do not allow the sweat to show through scrubs..true? what kind(s)?
3-for those that spend a lot of time in scrubs and may have experinced issues with sweat...what are your stories/solutions...etc..???

No a lot of people discuss this issue; and i really think your answers will help a lot of people :)
Please no harsh/rude comments

1. I think schools will offer the type of scrubs to their incoming classes, so that may be beyond your control.
2. Undershirts do capture sweat, I'm a sweater. I'm a dental assistant at the moment, and when I did sweat, I didn't notice anything through my shirt.
3. When liquids fell on my scrubs whether it was water or other sanitizing solutions, they evaporated quickly in my experience.

I'm lucky that my school has the AC on at 68 degrees almost everywhere in the dental tower. Going to classes I bring my sweater, I keep my gown on in clinic because it retains heat haha.