-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Scut sheet - hang men
Started by sozme
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
U are great human being and scholar sire, thx be to youThe fishbone (upper left) is for a basic metabolic panel. The "E" next to it is for CA/Mag/Phos. The X (either the upper or lower right) is for a complete blood cell count. The bottom left is for a coagulation panel.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Interestingly, the LFT one is not on there. It's the Chem7 rotated 90 degrees and contains TProtein, Albumin, Tbili, Dbili, ALT, AST, ALPThe fishbone (upper left) is for a basic metabolic panel. The "E" next to it is for CA/Mag/Phos. The X (either the upper or lower right) is for a complete blood cell count. The bottom left is for a coagulation panel.
I can never remember what goes where for the LFT one. I just write them out.Interestingly, the LFT one is not on there. It's the Chem7 rotated 90 degrees and contains TProtein, Albumin, Tbili, Dbili, ALT, AST, ALP
It's left to right total then partialI can never remember what goes where for the LFT one. I just write them out.
Total Protein | Albumin
TBili | Dbili
AST | ALT
ALP
The one that looks like a stretched out letter E is for additional electrolytes - calcium, magnesium, phosphorus.
group_theory
EX-TER-MIN-ATE!'
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
WOW - with the advent of EMRs, it has been a while since I used those skeletons (I think I was an intern trying to keep track of lab values, or as a senior resident on a team keeping track of patients lab values). With EMR autopopulating labs into notes, I wonder how long before these skeletons will be a historical artifact?
I still use them in CPRS up at the VA - very easy to make with / - and | symbols, and looks hella professional. Especially since CPRS' native lab display looks awful.
When I was an intern (just over a year ago), I used them (the CBC and chem ones) every day. It was so much more useful to be able to jot down the labs for every patient onto a single sheet rather than print out a note (that would likely be multiple pages) for every patient.WOW - with the advent of EMRs, it has been a while since I used those skeletons (I think I was an intern trying to keep track of lab values, or as a senior resident on a team keeping track of patients lab values). With EMR autopopulating labs into notes, I wonder how long before these skeletons will be a historical artifact?
As a senior, I still use them periodically, just not as much. It is also the way we do a lot of our teaching, with those drawn on a whiteboard for easy reference. It is so much easier to tell at a glance what all the labs are than from an EMR printout.
group_theory
EX-TER-MIN-ATE!'
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
I still use them in CPRS up at the VA - very easy to make with / - and | symbols, and looks hella professional. Especially since CPRS' native lab display looks awful.
Agree that in CPRS, labs values are in weird order (you can tell it was definitely not designed by a clinician) ... it's not too hard to make the skeleton in the progress notes ... the question becomes whether it is worth the extra time/effort (for some the answer is yes, for others, no)
When I was an intern (just over a year ago), I used them (the CBC and chem ones) every day. It was so much more useful to be able to jot down the labs for every patient onto a single sheet rather than print out a note (that would likely be multiple pages) for every patient.
As a senior, I still use them periodically, just not as much. It is also the way we do a lot of our teaching, with those drawn on a whiteboard for easy reference. It is so much easier to tell at a glance what all the labs are than from an EMR printout.
Yeah, they are useful when you have to write your lab values down, or when teaching. When I'm not on a teaching service and writing my own note, I look at the labs but the lab values are autopopulated into my notes so I don't have to "write" down any lab values (I also tend to remember labs when I look at them ... I guess from years of being a senior resident looking at lab values). When I'm on the teaching service, my interns/residents are writing notes and presenting labs to me on rounds (and when I look at the lab values in the morning, I don't write them all down ... I just jot down in my memory the pertinent values). So life after training ... with the correct EMR, there are fewer and fewer opportunities to use these skeletons. Not necessary a good thing or bad thing, just something I noticed.
I miss the skeleton…
I can never remember what goes where for the LFT one. I just write them out.
i thought i was the only one with this problem
the other ones make sense but i can never remember the lft one for some reason
I always did it this wayi thought i was the only one with this problem
the other ones make sense but i can never remember the lft one for some reason
t bili |alk phos|AST|t prot (imagine the bmp one without the < part at the end)
d bili| x |ALT| alb
mostly because that was the way the lab values were listed usually (except for some damn places that flip the order a bit and lead off with prot) and as a surgeon the bili is usually my main interest. Nowadays I never put all the labs though, so I will usually just note WBC-X, t bili-Y if I write anything down.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Similar threads
B
- Replies
- 21
- Views
- 7K
- Replies
- 12
- Views
- 5K