scutwork.com question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jhug

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i have looked on the scutwork.com site at different residencies in all different fields. I came across the residencies that didn't fill section and wondered what that means. I have talked with a few of the residents at some spots that scutwork says didn't fill and they claim that those particular residencies have never NOT filled. any ideas???

Members don't see this ad.

Are you sure that you're still not confused about the 'prelim vs. categorical' thing? (I sent you an email about that, did ya get that? :) )

Same thing for IM programs, except it's transitional vs....something..?categorical?

These are programs that didn't fill in the Match, i.e. the open spots went to the Scramble which is why the positions weren't open for very long - they were probably filled within days after the Match.

i think i understand the concept of the prelim vs. catagory thing-- i just went to scutwork.com and on the left side of the screen it says "unfilled programs", when you click on that link it takes you to a screen where you can pick from a variety of specialties and (i guess) it then shows you residencies that "didn't fill"....whatever they mean by that. What is the Scramble? Thanks for the info!!

read the post "What is the Scramble?" :clap:

to quote mpp:
The Scramble is used to fill the unfilled positions after the match is complete. Those that did not match are informed that they will have to scramble. The list of unfilled positions and contact phone numbers are released on the ERAS website at 12:00 EST on scramble day. People then begin calling those sites and apply to the unfilled positions, sending their transcripts, CV, letters of recommendation, etc. There is much "scrambling" as calls are returned, things faxed back and forth, etc. There are many busy phone numbers and fax lines. The hope is to find a place that will take you and sign a contract.

and Jim Picotte:
Monday at noon of match week you find out if you matched or not (NRMP sends you an e-mail, or you can find out on their site). Noon on Tuesday the scramble open up and NRMP releases the names of all the unfilled programs. Note that the info on scutwork.com, while correct in the programs that didn't fill isn't entirely accurate. I mean that at noon on Tuesday I had a friend call every radiology program that supposedly didn't match and every single program said they were already filled. How this happens, I have no idea. So, just because you see a program that didn't fill doesn't mean there are really any open slots.

The scramble is really from noon on Tuesday till noon on Thursday for AMG. So those who don't match still get a letter to open up on match day so they don't feel left out (even though those select people know exactly where they're going). There's still spots open after Thursday, in fact there are spots open all year round, but it's no fun to say that there is a scramble 365 days a year.

On Thursday at noon, you open a letter from your medical school (you can wait till one pm EST and find out on the NRMP site, but you find out an hour sooner at your medical school ceremony) and everyone gets excited, TV cameras, nice dinners, etc. They make you wait so that it's a big occasion with everyone together. Opening the envelope is very nerve racking but was fun at the same time.

Hope those answer your question.