SDN Conference

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WisNeuro

Board Certified in Clinical Neuropsychology
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am of the opinion that SDN needs to plan and hold fictional yearly conferences. Who's with me?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 7 users
I will host the PsyDr Unhappy Hour.

(this also happens in real life conferences)

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Aren't there enough of those fake conferences out there? The ones that spam out speaker invitations that start with "Greetings for the day!"

I'd be up for an SDN psych/psych forums Zoom though, if anyone is planning one.

Reactions: 6 users
Can I still be a pink rainbow cat?

Reactions: 2 users
Can I still mooch free food and drink from the (Insert whatever committee/specialty/group) meet & greets?

Reactions: 1 user
How do I put my attendance on my CV?

Reactions: 1 users
Can I still be a pink rainbow cat?

I feel like an SDN zoom conference should involve costumes to preserve anonymity and encourage whimsy. I'll be batman.

Adam West Dancing GIF

• Haha
I will host the PsyDr Unhappy Hour.

(this also happens in real life conferences)

I feel like this needs to be a weekly radio show or a podcast (everyone has one)

Last edited:
Which student wants to do 20 hours of volunteer work for a ****ty sandwich?

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Reactions: 3 users
Current undergrad students, be sure to create a business card that makes you feel completely ridiculous so you can hand them out to POIs who probably won't remember you, anyway. And, of course, a bulk order so you have FAR more than you actually need (which, to be fair, is probably like 5 cards max).

• Haha
I would like to run a poster session. Posters can be no more than 10pt font (can vary between sections, of course) and must include at least 50 reported statistical tests. Bonus points if the organization of the poster does not follow any natural or intuitive pattern of eye movement.

I would like to run a poster session. Posters can be no more than 10pt font (can vary between sections, of course) and must include at least 50 reported statistical tests. Bonus points if the organization of the poster does not follow any natural or intuitive pattern of eye movement.

"Look, there's four authors and posters have four corners, so what's not to like?"

And, posters must be comprised of 9 -12 8x11 sheets of paper, no single posters accepted.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
As long as there will be complimentary food and beverages, but please prohibit the handing out of business cards from undergrad and graduate students.

Will there be daily 7:45am "breakfast with... <insert some head of some organization or speaker>" where everyone crams into a crappy hotel continental breakfast room where there aren't enough seats, you can't hear the speaker, and someone suggests an ice breaker before coffee?

As long as there will be complimentary food and beverages, but please prohibit the handing out of business cards from undergrad and graduate students.

Will there be daily 7:45am "breakfast with... <insert some head of some organization or speaker>" where everyone crams into a crappy hotel continental breakfast room where there aren't enough seats, you can't hear the speaker, and someone suggests an ice breaker before coffee?

No need to get hyperbolic and insinuate anyone is guilty of war crimes

• Haha

I can take that, though it will be a silent meditation because even my wife knows not to converse with me before coffee.

• Haha
We also need a business meeting hour. 30 people are projected to attend. We will start with 2 minute intro for each person. Then we will have plenty of time to cover business.

We also need a business meeting hour. 30 people are projected to attend. We will start with 2 minute intro for each person. Then we will have plenty of time to cover business.

Let's not forget the meeting to develop goals for the meeting

I will bring a poster with a minor mistake that is gently corrected by another expert in the field. It will launch a lifelong feud between us that will lead to long, uncomfortable screaming matches during any presentation where we cross paths.

• Haha
The conference planning committees will meet at happy hour bc they want to be $-conscious while choosing a hotel that is normally $500/nt, but only $350/nt for the conference. WiFi will still be $25/day for in-room, and the hotel will charge $12,000 for access in the conference areas, but there was a deal on the block of rooms!

We'll need a conference planning committee that meets twice monthly year round. Subcommittees of that committee will meet another time each month to plan business meetings.
Don’t you quote subcommittee procedures to me! I was on the task force that picked the group that decided the font to use on the cover of that subcommittee planning meeting document!

I am self declared chair for the following:

1) The “All things woo” committee. (Membership is full, and our decisions to allow presenters is final).
2) The “we don’t need anymore MF'ing tote bags” committee
3) The “Vendors get to the point, and give us discount codes” procedural committee.

And can we standardize the “creepy old dude trying to hit on you through the guise of offering advice, but you’re putting up with it to try to game the system” process?. Can’t we have like a flowchart on that or something?

• Haha
Who gets the first SDN Lifetime Achievement Award for promoting the field, and contributing to the knowledge of all things SDN?

I just wanna know if I’ll be allowed to complain about concept creep and give a long diatribe about pseudoscience in trauma therapy. If not, then no amount of sandwiches will get me interested in attending.

Oh, and can we have karaoke and happy hour afterwards?

I just wanna know if I’ll be allowed to complain about concept creep and give a long diatribe about pseudoscience in trauma therapy. If not, then no amount of sandwiches will get me interested in attending.

Oh, and can we have karaoke and happy hour afterwards?

There are enough of us in this camp that we'll definitely be able to form a division.

There are enough of us in this camp that we'll definitely be able to form a division.

I would like to submit my application (nomination?) for president of this division.

Also, YES to karaoke. And PsyDr, speak for yourself about having enough tote bags! I CAN NEVER HAVE ENOUGH.

I would like to submit my application (nomination?) for president of this division.

Also, YES to karaoke. And PsyDr, speak for yourself about having enough tote bags! I CAN NEVER HAVE ENOUGH.
counter offer: We give you the $2 that we spent on tote bags as store credit in one of the established APA partners. We then reach out to other conferences, and standardize this process. Next we pressure APA to partner with real handbag manufacturers, since APA is basically full of their core demographics. "Hey, Kate Spade. Want access to an organization, the majority of which are white middle aged women?". Now you can have a discount on a nicer bag, or you can get flowers or a cookie or something.

• Haha
Can I be on the committee that assigns rooms for the talks? I really just want to put the 'All things woo' people in a room next to the 'I hate pseudoscience' people.

• Haha
counter offer: We give you the $2 that we spent on tote bags as store credit in one of the established APA partners. We then reach out to other conferences, and standardize this process. Next we pressure APA to partner with real handbag manufacturers, since APA is basically full of their core demographics. "Hey, Kate Spade. Want access to an organization, the majority of which are white middle aged women?". Now you can have a discount on a nicer bag.

That's not very diverse or inclusive. You need a gender neutral carryall, sir!

APA is partners with 1800 flowers, Harry & David, and some cookie place. There are other options.
Apparently Cheryl's Cookies and the Popcorn Factory. Personally, I believe chocolate chip cookies are good for the soul. So, that gets my vote.

I support your presidency!

Fun fact, in my niche area of research there is a person who is a walking legend (super badass research type who has personally produced some of the biggest names in neuroscience and psychology in our research area), and she is notorious always attending one of our large annual conferences and being the main instigator behind getting everyone drunk and getting the dancing and karaoke going.

Can I be on the committee that assigns rooms for the talks? I really just want to put the 'All things woo' people in a room next to the 'I hate pseudoscience' people.
Surely we rational folks on psych SDN don’t have a large enough constituency of woomeisters among us to make them a posse. Right? RIGHT?