SDN is huge, why not make it into

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

badasshairday

Vascular and Interventional Radiology
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why not make it into an organization like the AMA, or AMSA? We could lobby and do stuff like AMA and AMsa are suppose to do for us, but do it properly. Like malpractice reform, reimbursement issuses, midlevel encroachment (DNPs), etc...

Members don't see this ad.

Great idea, let's water down any unified front physicians have even further by the unnecessary creation of yet another physician group that represents not only physicians but all allied health professions. And let's have them run on a shoestring budget supported by internet ads and paypal donations. That'll totally turn the world upside down.

Great idea, let's water down any unified front physicians have even further by the unnecessary creation of yet another physician group that represents not only physicians but all allied health professions. And let's have them run on a shoestring budget supported by internet ads and paypal donations. That'll totally turn the world upside down.

I sense sarcasm.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's huge but not homogenous.

Why not make it into an organization like the AMA, or AMSA? We could lobby and do stuff like AMA and AMsa are suppose to do for us, but do it properly. Like malpractice reform, reimbursement issuses, midlevel encroachment (DNPs), etc...

Why don't you....JOIN AMA?

Why don't we not do that.

Nevermind... :(

But if the AMA is so awesome why can't they get rid of the encroachment by DNP's at least. I can't freakin believe there is even such thing as a DNP. Bull****.

Also if AMSA is so great for med students, why don't they do anything to slow down the soaring costs of getting a medical education.

Those are the two biggest issues in my opinion.

Also if AMSA is so great for med students,
They're not.
why don't they do anything to slow down the soaring costs of getting a medical education.
Because they have no power, no pull with anyone who matters, and no real interest in making life better for medical students unless it fits into one of their narrow and shortsighted political agendas.

But if the AMA is so awesome why can't they get rid of the encroachment by DNP's at least. I can't freakin believe there is even such thing as a DNP. Bull****.

Also if AMSA is so great for med students, why don't they do anything to slow down the soaring costs of getting a medical education.

Good idea. Join one (AMA's a better choice in my opinion) and make your voice heard.

They're not.
Because they have no power, no pull with anyone who matters, and no real interest in making life better for medical students unless it fits into one of their narrow and shortsighted political agendas.

That pretty much sums it up. Now, if you want to promote the legalization of homosexual marriage or something else far-left not related to medicine, the AMSA is apparently the place to be

SDN has a lot of traffic but look at it this way. There are a number of conflicting interests here. It isn't all physicians and med students -- there are a lot of other healthcare related paths represented on here. It isn't all allopathic. It isn't even all folks who will ever apply to or get into a US med school. There are folks from other countries on here. There are folks who are attending offshore schools. There are lots of people on here who don't get to vote in US elections. In truth, the number of folks who regularly use SDN and have a vested interest and a say in the issues you mention is quite small. You probably could start a bigger organization at whatever school you attend. Or, as folks have mentioned, you can join the AMA or another organization which already has a decent sized membership.

But bear in mind that being a big group doesn't give you any clout. You have to hold some of the cards. Premeds hold none. Med students hold almost none. Residents hold a few, but largely insignificant, cards. The folks who have the power to change things, if they organized and lobbied simply don't have a lot of the same interests that folks on here have.

As for the issues you mentioned, bear in mind that physicians are horribly organized and lobby poorly. Their opponents (eg in reimbursements the insurance lobby, or in terms of malpractice both the trial lawyers and insurance lobbies) are amazingly well organized, highly funded and lobby well. Folks in medicine aren't pulling in a unified direction, and aren't willing to contribute funds toward lobbying for the kinds of things you mentioned. And medicine has a big image problem -- the public perception is that doctors earn too much -- so you get no groundswell support when you push for things like better reimbursement terms or medmal protection. The public things doctors are magic and that bad things only happen with negligence. So protecting doctors interests has not touched the hearts of americans even though the current president tried hard to float plans to allow obstetricians to "share their love" with their patients without fear of being sued.

SDN has a lot of traffic but look at it this way. There are a number of conflicting interests here. It isn't all physicians and med students -- there are a lot of other healthcare related paths represented on here. It isn't all allopathic. It isn't even all folks who will ever apply to or get into a US med school. There are folks from other countries on here. There are folks who are attending offshore schools. There are lots of people on here who don't get to vote in US elections. In truth, the number of folks who regularly use SDN and have a vested interest and a say in the issues you mention is quite small. You probably could start a bigger organization at whatever school you attend. Or, as folks have mentioned, you can join the AMA or another organization which already has a decent sized membership.

But bear in mind that being a big group doesn't give you any clout. You have to hold some of the cards. Premeds hold none. Med students hold almost none. Residents hold a few, but largely insignificant, cards. The folks who have the power to change things, if they organized and lobbied simply don't have a lot of the same interests that folks on here have.

As for the issues you mentioned, bear in mind that physicians are horribly organized and lobby poorly. Their opponents (eg in reimbursements the insurance lobby, or in terms of malpractice both the trial lawyers and insurance lobbies) are amazingly well organized, highly funded and lobby well. Folks in medicine aren't pulling in a unified direction, and aren't willing to contribute funds toward lobbying for the kinds of things you mentioned. And medicine has a big image problem -- the public perception is that doctors earn too much -- so you get no groundswell support when you push for things like better reimbursement terms or medmal protection. The public things doctors are magic and that bad things only happen with negligence. So protecting doctors interests has not touched the hearts of americans even though the current president tried hard to float plans to allow obstetricians to "share their love" with their patients without fear of being sued.

Right. Doctors are not well versed in lobbying or other legal matters. In fact, it wouldn't be a stretch to say that most doctors are science nerds with some communication skills. This is why it is so difficult for physicians to lobby against the insurance industry, for medmal reform, or for any other cause that they deem worthy. It would be like asking a group of attorneys to start performing open heart surgery (with the exception of law2doc, of course). They would be out of their proverbial element.

I've heard it said, from a pretty reputable source, that the average PAC donation from any and all trial lawyers is around a thousand bucks a year. Physician donations (because so many physicians don't donate -anything-, and those that do donate far less) don't crack a hundred bucks per physician per year. Money makes the political world go 'round. No wonder we're getting trounced on so many issues.

Great idea! I can see the success this would be:

- "Let's lobby against DNPs"
- "Yeah! I'm in!"
- "Wait! Don't mess with the nurses! They'll page you at 2AM for fun!"
- "Nurses are important too. I'm a nurse and I hate med students."
- "No way! Nurses are dumb!"
- "Med students are"
- "No, DOs are all dumb"
- "No, FMGs are all dumb"
- "You are dumb"
- "Be nice or this thread will be closed"
- "Yeah! Let's be nice. Let's join against DNPs"
- "My wife is a DNP and they're misunderstood. Don't be elitist."
- "Are you even in med school yet?"
- "I'm applying to med school"
- "Then shut up!"
- "Forget about DNPs. Let's end affirmative action!"
- "What's wrong with affirmative action?"
- "Only white people with high GPAs have the right to become doctors!"
- "racist!"
- "What's a DO?"
- ** thread closed **

- "Yeah! I'm in!"
- "Med students are"
- "No, DOs are all dumb"
- "You are dumb"
- "Then shut up!"
- "racist!"
- "What's a DO?"
- ** thread closed **

:laugh:

- "Yeah! I'm in!"
- "Med students are"
- "No, DOs are all dumb"
- "You are dumb"
- "Then shut up!"
- "racist!"
- "What's a DO?"
- ** thread closed **

Lmao you summed up sdn in one post, I love it

:thumbup:

As far as Im concerned this is coming form the "Speaker of the House":thumbup:

I just got back from the meeting in Chicago, and they are working on this issue - at least those MDs who care are (which happens to be many of the people in the AMA)

Unfortunately, many docs and the vast majority of med students don't want to be bothered to put either the time or money into such battles. If you seriously want to make a difference, like others have said join the AMA and work within the group to make change.

As for the issues you mentioned, bear in mind that physicians are horribly organized and lobby poorly. Their opponents (eg in reimbursements the insurance lobby, or in terms of malpractice both the trial lawyers and insurance lobbies) are amazingly well organized, highly funded and lobby well. Folks in medicine aren't pulling in a unified direction, and aren't willing to contribute funds toward lobbying for the kinds of things you mentioned.

This statement is spot on. A lot of physicians have ego problems - we think that because we're out there "saving lives" with our "superior medical expertise," we should have ultimate control over how medicine is run - and that our opinions should automatically influence policy. Unfortunately, this arrogance has allowed groups with conflicting interests to advocate their points without much competition from MDs.

I don't know how else to change this other than by encouraging med students from day one to get involved in advocacy and policy - to learn that doctors don't practice in a bubble, and that there are people out there making laws that have direct effects on how medicine is practiced.

sorry. I like my anonymity.