SDN Medical School Resources and Ask Me Anything (AMA) Threads

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lawpy

42% Full Member
7+ Year Member
SDN Ambassador
Reaction score
The following resources and guides are generously provided by medical students, residents, fellows, attendings and faculty to help students in their journey to become physicians. This compilation will be regularly updated with new resources.

SDN Advisor Guides and Insights

Thanks to @Goro @mimelim @Law2Doc @Tenk @ProfMD @group_theory @DNC127 @operaman @Crayola227 @OrthoTraumaMD @sloop for taking the time to guide students in their medical journey.
Medical Education Resources

Guides and Reflections

Thanks to @Ismet @Lev0phed @KLS93 @Ravizzle @Domperidone @Frazier @EarthtoneJon @positivemd @xoggyux @FindersFee5 @UNMedGa @Anti-PD1 @ajh1983 @Split Infinity @Syncrohnize @coffeelvr0210 @beezybuttermilk @Apoplexy__ @CougarMD @Snoopy2006 @IMreshopeful @meliora27 @JustPlainBill @Hangry @mpnyc @fullmetal @shockwavelithotripsy @Distant @RadsGuy for providing useful resources and insights.
Step 1 Resources
Clinical Rotations Resources
Step 2 Resources
Specialty-Specific Resources

Thanks to @RadsGuy for providing career advice and discussions for radiology.
Clinical Cases and Discussions

sozme's Intern/Night Float Cases

Thanks to @sozme for offering insightful case studies.
Science and Data Discussions

Additional science discussions can be found below. Thanks to residents, fellows and attendings on SDN for sharing their insights. Credit especially given to @Raryn @jdh71 for helping out with detailed suggestions.
Stories, Entertainment and Miscellaneous Discussions

Thanks to @HomeSkool @Doctor-S @Lev0phed @Bobdabuilda14 @cbrons @SawBones for the stories and entertaining discussions.
I hope you find this useful! I will continue updating this thread with more resources.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 26 users
Ask Me Anything (AMA) Threads

Below is a list of medical Ask Me Anything (AMA) threads sorted by start date.

If you have additional threads to suggest, please post them below and they will be added to the list. Your post will be deleted once the directory is updated. Thanks to all our members who have contributed AMAs to our community!

AMA Livestream Videos
Here's a list of our livestream video AMAs - look for more to be added soon! If you know a physician who would be interested in participating in this series, please have them contact us: Contact us

May 11, 2021 - Pediatric Oncologist from National Cancer Institute

June 3, 2021 - Pediatric Physiatrist from Duke Cerebral Palsy and Related Conditions (CPRC) clinic

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
Very nice compilation!

I think it'd be good to include a guide on how to choose a study pathway --- lecture-based vs. PBL. This is one of the most important decisions a student has to make before matriculating (if the school offers both pathways).

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I dont think mimelim is talking about research efficiency in that post. Rather is talking about the nuance of quality of research and importance of knowing your research when interviewing for residency.

look up some posts from @operaman. He is a really insightful guy who shares wisdom about medical school and beyond. Also props to you for doing something like this for Lawper. Hope med school is going well! :)

I think under stories you have to include @HomeSkool 's travel escapades:
Interviews: A Comedy of Errors

If only as a PSA for everyone to avoid flying with anyone who might be him :laugh:

There's a couple of lead ins and other travel stories above and below, but I think that was the main fiasco

Reactions: 1 users
Where is the pee pee on my scrubs thread in humor?

Ask Me Anything (AMA) Threads

Below is a list of medical Ask Me Anything (AMA) threads sorted by start date.
If you have additional threads to suggest, please post them below and they will be added to the list. Your post will be deleted once the directory is updated. Thanks to all our members who have contributed AMAs to our community!
HI- As an M2 who has been attending classes online since last spring and never having had the opportunity to work on a cadaver, I am finding anatomy very difficult. Can you recommend any resources to help learn anatomy in this difficult environment? And for Step 1, how much anatomy is typically included?thanks for any advice

Do you have any thoughts on GPA during medical school? My school is one of the few that still uses a GPA and mine is rather abysmal (I've had some minor health problems myself and major one in my family on top of COVID that really impacted my first year)- how much will my GPA matter? Also, do you get to explain low GPA when applying for residencies or do they really not care? Do Shelf exams completely overshadow GPA or does it still matter because STEP 1 is P/F now?
Would love to hear some thoughts even if it's just tough love. Thanks!