SDN MudPhud Challenge

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GWD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I challenge all forum participants to see who will be the first to publish first author to Nature Medicine.

Members don't see this ad.

I challenge all forum participants to see who will be the first to publish first author to Nature Medicine.
Hmm, so can we conclude that you've just submitted a pub to them and/or had one accepted? If so, congrats. But no setting up any more biased contests! :D

Hmm, so can we conclude that you've just submitted a pub to them and/or had one accepted? If so, congrats. But no setting up any more biased contests! :D

What about first or solo author in other journals or publishing houses? Or, would this cause ego critical mass amongst some of our colleaques?

Members don't see this ad :)

Hah! I wish.

But... you may have seen me post from the doldrems a couple of weeks ago that my entire thesis and a year's worth of work was recently scoop by a previously under-the-radar group.

Well, after having a full lab meeting to discuss the implications of the report (more than one colleague referred to our group as "washed-up" or "historical"), I've retooled my study to what will ultimately be a more focused, and well defined thesis in the long run.

I guess it's true that where one door closes, another one opens... and trying to keep your chin up is often the nature of our business.

Our tech showed us some data last Friday that made me jump out of my skin. If I can elucidate what is going on, most of my committee agrees that it is Nature Medicine caliber at minimum, so I'll be keeping my nose to the grindstone and we'll just have to see.

I did have a paper come out yesterday though. A lot of the data is similar to what was on my poster at the APSA meeting if you saw that. Here's the link if you wanna check it out:

http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/eji.200738129

What about first or solo author in other journals or publishing houses? Or, would this cause ego critical mass amongst some of our colleaques?

Nah.. it's just a friendly challenge amongst SDN MudPhudders... There is no prize for the winner, aside from sense of pride and accomplishment, but really all who so choose are winners just for participating.

I'll extend the challenge to all journals of equal or greater impact factor. Honestly, I'm not even certain what Nature Medicine's impact factor is, it has just always been a personal objective of mine to be published in that particular journal.

Why Nature Medicine and not Nature/Sci/Cell?

Heh, at least those journals reject you quickly and don't prolong the agony... :smuggrin:

-X

I'll extend the challenge to all journals of equal or greater impact factor. Honestly, I'm not even certain what Nature Medicine's impact factor is, it has just always been a personal objective of mine to be published in that particular journal.

Alright, then. I was first author on a Science paper.

Very impressive.

No retro-active submissions credited though.

Care to share?

I'm not quite ready to give up my anonymity here, but I'll PM you the citation, since you're curious.

I'm not quite ready to give up my anonymity here, but I'll PM you the citation, since you're curious.

Yeah.. I'm just super curious as to what my fellow SDNers are doing.

Thanks for the citation.

Not to downplay your accomplishment, that is super, BEYOND awesome!

The idea of this challenge was just to motivate those of us at a similar point in our training (G2->G3 here) to do something spectacular.

If noticed a lot of people become discouraged and complacent around this point in our education, so I hope this will encourage us all to keep on keepin' on.

As DogFaceMedic pointed out, any published report is a significant accomplishment for our careers, and towards the advancement of our particular fields.

xanthines: This is a very subjective challenge... it's actually more of a personal challenge than anything. As I mentioned previously, it has always been a goal of mine to publish in Nature Medicine. Anybody publishing anything in a peer-reviewed journal is certainly contributing praise-worthy advancement to our cause.