SDN or APhA as extracurricular?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mtgirl

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did anyone list the SDN forum as an extracurricular on Pharmcas or is that stretching it too much?:)

What about professional organizations such as American Pharmacist Association?

Members don't see this ad.

Is it possible? SDN is a great website and all, but can it really be considered an EC for "Networking with other Pharmacists, Pharmacy students and aspiring pharmacy studengs by asking for help, giving assistance to students in need and helping to foster an environment that will promote future pharmacists to work their butt of"

Well damn! Why didn't I think of that?:laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
My application had already been completed before I started reading SDN last year in September, so I couldn't include it. However, my interviewer at USC asked if I had any recent ECs (most of mine were a few years old) The only thing I could think of was to tell him I had been selected as Advisor on SDN in Jan (interview was in March) He seemed to be okay with it. I wouldn't put it down if you didn't have an official position/title, but had I been an advisor when I filled out my PharmCAS application, I'd have put it down. (Of course, hindsight is always 20/20)

I would include APhA if you're already a registered member.

Ive heard of others putting it down, it also says on the faq that you can count it as an EC

Ive heard of others putting it down, it also says on the faq that you can count it as an EC

Where did you see from the FAQ??
If I could list SDN as one of my ECs, that will be great!!!!! :)

I wasn't registered on SDN until after I turned in my PharmCAS apps, but I mentioned being on this forum at my interviews when the "what experience do you have with pharmacy?" question came up. My interviewers immediately wrote stuff on their evaluation sheet as soon as I mentioned SDN. I got into the three schools I had interviews at, if that means anything to you.:D

I wasn't registered on SDN until after I turned in my PharmCAS apps, but I mentioned being on this forum at my interviews when the "what experience do you have with pharmacy?" question came up. My interviewers immediately wrote stuff on their evaluation sheet as soon as I mentioned SDN. I got into the three schools I had interviews at, if that means anything to you.:D

:D definitely it does, at least, your interviewers took some actions after you mentioned about this forum. It was much better than just heard them said "Oh....um....." or said nothing at all.... Thank you very much for sharing this with us!

:D definitely it does, at least, your interviewers took some actions after you mentioned about this forum. It was much better than just heard them said "Oh....um....." or said nothing at all.... Thank you very much for sharing this with us!

well ya being on this site is kind of liking being on a large pre-pharm club lol

You guys must be kidding me if you put down SDN as an e/c. If I was a student interviewer, I would laugh my *** off if I read that. Just being honest here guys. It's actually an insult for us who did years of community service work, volunteered at hospitals, and spent hours on student committees, etc etc.

I'm sure mentioning it would be a fun fact that can make you stand out, but if that's ONE OF THE ONLY THINGS you can list under your e/c's, you should really go out and do some real activities.

You guys must be kidding me if you put down SDN as an e/c. If I was a student interviewer, I would laugh my *** off if I read that. Just being honest here guys. It's actually an insult for us who did years of community service work, volunteered at hospitals, and spent hours on student committees, etc etc.

Well, SDN wasn't my only answer to that question during my interviews.;)

Anyway, I don't see how it would insult me. I worry about myself and let the adcoms worry about how strong my and other people's ec's are. If SDN is the highlight of a person's extracurricular list, then that person insulted himself. I personally couldn't care less as it doesn't impact my chances for admission.

Did anyone list the SDN forum as an extracurricular on Pharmcas or is that stretching it too much?:)
I did. :D

It's not a hardcore EC. Most members are here for advising or social stuff. Still, it shows an interest in the profession. If you can talk abotu what you gain from being a member, go for it. If not, you should leave it off.

I mentioned SDN in one interview and nearly got laughed out of the room. I think SDN has some fantastic information, but nearly as much bad information. The information filter for things I see on SDN is very fine. IMO, SDN is an EC like knitting or reading are ECs.