SDN Pathology Forum Research Study Published

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I came out of medical school with about 70,000 dollars in debt.
My loans did n't charge interest during training and my training in pathology lasted five years.

I would expect to to have between 200,000 to 300,000 in debt today.
I might be quite afraid of training for 6-7 years without exceptional opportunities after graduation.

Yes I agree. There are opportunities but I wouldn’t call them exceptional. It does suck to have to put that much hard work and years of training and see the limited number of jobs on pathoutlines.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Fascinating....

Members don't see this ad :)
I came out of medical school with about 70,000 dollars in debt.
My loans did n't charge interest during training and my training in pathology lasted five years.

I would expect to to have between 200,000 to 300,000 in debt today.
I might be quite afraid of training for 6-7 years without exceptional opportunities after graduation.
There are no path jobs in underserved areas either that qualify for loan forgiveness unlike primary care, general surgery, etc.

With all the foreign grads going into Pathology I don’t know why most go into Pathology either. They have to apply to jobs on a J1 waiver in underserved areas which go to primary care foreign docs first. There are a limited number of these jobs per state. I hear these jobs are hard to get.

Either that or they have to go back to their country for two years before coming back.

With all the foreign grads going into Pathology I don’t know why most go into Pathology either. They have to apply to jobs on a J1 waiver in underserved areas which go to primary care foreign docs first. There are a limited number of these jobs per state. I hear these jobs are hard to get.

Either that or they have to go back to their country for two years before coming back.
The HHS sponsored J1s are on tenuous grounds for pathologists..not sure how it is possibly to make an argument that anywhere in the US has a significant shortfall of pathologists

I called in and inquired about the compensation. I was told that the compensation is $950 per day, flat rate. No benefits, as this is an independent contractor position. Malpractice paid. The number of cases is pretty low 25, but I was told that it will pick up to around 40.

I would encourage others to post their observations.
I was recently offered 15/ 305 from a GI’ologist to sign out outpatient endo biopsies.
No malpractice, no benefits

60 jars / day x 15 = 900 / day

I talked to a rep from CompHealth who said Locum Tenens for a pathologist in Florida on average pays 600-800$ a day.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
73% of new grads get at least one job offer. 27% sucks to be you. If you just get the one, you better like it or you can join the 27%. Great selling point on Path! The 27% will work under any conditions and any pay (15/305....heck go for 10/305). No choice. Don't throw away years of hard work on this crap field.

Other specialties 99.999% get at least one job offer, multiple offers, recruited/begged to come.

Agree. My friend works at Quest gets 12-15$/305 if they come in on weekends (rare) to look at cases. Rarely they work weekends but still that rate sucks.

I passed on this offer, but the GI did find someone else though and pretty sure at 15/305

Does anyone here read GI-only 305s from community GI practices? What percent of cases are not run-of-the-mill TAs and require more than 5 seconds of effort?

I have one local path that tried to pass on one of her GI contracts like this to me (or at least help her cover when she took vacation), and told me that it's 99% TAs, and anything she gets with suspected cancer she sends out for referral. In that scenario, 15/305 may not be so bad. You could conceivably get through all 60 jars in 3-4 hrs. you are also giving up half of the PC, but have a low risk population and don't have to worry about reimbursement- you get paid 100% of your invoices on time.

/just an alternative take

There is no future in a jars/bucks work as a FT gig...but negotiate the rate up to 30-40 and do a another gig FT and you could be talking decent money.

VA job with subspec board cert starting you at 240K in a low cost, no state income state adding $35 average per jarx 60 jars/day x 200 working days/year would be 660K and if this was in Tulsa, OK for example that would be nearly 1.2 MILLION in Los Angeles. And you are getting a federal pension, 8 weeks of vacation and educational leave, full medical and dental.

Not too shabby. Not too shabby AT ALL.

Agree. My friend works at Quest gets 12-15$/305 if they come in on weekends (rare) to look at cases. Rarely they work weekends but still that rate sucks.

low rates like that are purely the effect of masses of FMGs in Pathology. I love all (most?) pathologists, but there is no question many of the payment concerns from 2nd hand indirect sources (other clinicians and hospitals) is secondary to FMGs absolutely desperate to not have to lose their status and go back to a "SHC".

And do you blame them?? In France you might be making barely 60K year as a pathologist, what do you think you will be making in China? Pakistan? Guatemala? Africa?

All people want to survive and provide a better life for their families. Heck I joined the military in part to protect these peoples' dreams in SHCs. So I will never blame the FMG for the situation we are in, no this is purely the result of residency programs absolute total disregard for the profession.

Reactions: 2 users
I was told by someone that works there that Inform Diagnostics (formerly Miraca, formely CarisDX) pays $15/88305 to their regular pathologists. Not the big-wigs, I'm sure, but the average doc there that's all they get.

I was told by someone that works there that Inform Diagnostics (formerly Miraca, formely CarisDX) pays $15/88305 to their regular pathologists. Not the big-wigs, I'm sure, but the average doc there that's all they get.

Crank out 100 305s a day. $1500 in six hours. Doesn’t sound that bad of a deal if you have no other options for work.

I know a group bought out by Miraca now under inform. They basically all stayed in place and are all happy.

Don’t know for sure their salaries, but I know they don’t have a huge volume and still do well salary wise. Inform also took over several hospital contracts for medical directorships, onsite Path services, etc they must be factoring this into their salaries.

Last edited:
Crank out 100 305s a day. $1500 in six hours. Doesn’t sound that bad of a deal if you have no other options for work.
100 305s from one organ system every day would be tough for me...like a little variety myself.