DAT SDN's annual Test Prep Week

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
We are delighted to participate again in SDN's annual Test Prep Week.

We will be offering 2 2015 DAT/Math Destroyer Combo Packages.

Winners will be chosen from amongst those who ask questions or otherwise contribute meaningfully to discussion.”

Good luck to all!

Dr. Jim Romano And Nancy Steen

prod_DAT-Basic_Cover.jpg

2015 DAT Destroyer and Math Destroyer Combo Package
Our best selling package
Combo package includes the DAT Destroyer containing Organic Chemistry, Biology, Quantitative Reasoning and General Chemistry and the Math Destroyer contains 640 problems and detailed solutions, broken down into 16 separate tests that you can use to simulate the actual test.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I already have both books... just wanted to come on here to tell predents how it's pretty much a requirement to have the DAT Destroyer to learn from

Reactions: 1 users
How very kind of you! Well you are entered in the contest, if you win we will offer an alternate prize. When are you taking the DAT?

Thanks again..Nancy
Well thank you... First week of June, so the nerves are starting to really creep up!

I already have both books... just wanted to come on here to tell predents how it's pretty much a requirement to have the DAT Destroyer to learn from

StudentDoc1234

How very kind of you! Well you are entered in the contest, if you win we will offer an alternate prize. When are you taking the DAT?

Thanks again..Nancy

Members don't see this ad :)
StudentDoc1234

Thanks again..Nancy
Taking the DAT the first week of June. You and Dr. Romano are amazing, thanks again!

Dr. Romano/Nancy,

How have the changes to the Biology and Math sections affected the way you present content in your books? Do the newest editions reflect the updated questions in the tests?

Mukmu

Dr. Romano/Nancy,

How have the changes to the Biology and Math sections affected the way you present content in your books? Do the newest editions reflect the updated questions in the tests?

Mukmu

Hi Mukmu,

There have not been any major changes to the Bio or Math on the DAT as of today. We work hard to make our materials the most cutting edge on the market. We have read everything posted by the ADA and I have communicated with them directly. We have everything covered.

The big mistake students make is not understanding the difficulty of the DAT also remember their are many versions of the DAT and students will NOT get the same exam. It is very important to be full prepared and the Destroyer will prepare you to DESTROY the DAT. BUT you must do ALL the work, and I mean ALL the work, don't pick and choose what you are going to study, it is ALL important.

Don't make the mistake of spending precious study time hours taking too many timed tests, your hours are better spent learning.

Hope this answers your questions and good luck!

Hi Mukmu,

There have not been any major changes to the Bio or Math on the DAT as of today. We work hard to make our materials the most cutting edge on the market. We have read everything posted by the ADA and I have communicated with them directly. We have everything covered.

The big mistake students make is not understanding the difficulty of the DAT also remember their are many versions of the DAT and students will NOT get the same exam. It is very important to be full prepared and the Destroyer will prepare you to DESTROY the DAT. BUT you must do ALL the work, and I mean ALL the work, don't pick and choose what you are going to study, it is ALL important.

Don't make the mistake of spending precious study time hours taking too many timed tests, your hours are better spent learning.

Hope this answers your questions and good luck!

That's great to hear. I just was not sure how extensive the changes on the DAT were (although I am almost upset they removed a few biology topics that I had studied so hard for in my classes).

Remove Bio topics???
It says: 2015 Changes to Biology Test Specifications

The Biology specifications will change slightly in 2015 as follows:
  • New:
    • Biomolecules - within Cell and Molecular Biology
    • Relationships - within Diversity of Life
  • Experimental embryology will be removed from Developmental Biology.
  • Cladistics will be removed from Evolution, Ecology, and Behavior.
  • Biology will still contain 40 questions in total.
  • These changes will be implemented during Calendar Year 2015.

It says: 2015 Changes to Biology Test Specifications

The Biology specifications will change slightly in 2015 as follows:
  • New:
    • Biomolecules - within Cell and Molecular Biology
    • Relationships - within Diversity of Life
  • Experimental embryology will be removed from Developmental Biology.
  • Cladistics will be removed from Evolution, Ecology, and Behavior.
  • Biology will still contain 40 questions in total.
  • These changes will be implemented during Calendar Year 2015.

Oh, that's old information. Refer to the 2015 DAT Guide that they published.

Attachments

• 2015 ada guide.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 94
Dear Dr. Romano and Nancy

For Biology section, you have said many time we have to know this section cold... which can mean everything in the book and beyond via looking up terms that you don't know on internet. This is fantastic, but as you know. This book is very difficult and can take many months to really grasp the materials. So here's my question... when do you know you have graduated from the DAT Destroyer? meaning when do you know you have done everything to study the DAT Destroyer? Especially for biology section. Is it when you can recite all the definition on this book and relate to question? or is it something more than just that?

Oh, and I would like to participate in this, however I already have DAT Destroyer. However, I do not have Math Destroyer.

Thank you!

Dear Dr. Romano and Nancy

For Biology section, you have said many time we have to know this section cold... which can mean everything in the book and beyond via looking up terms that you don't know on internet. This is fantastic, but as you know. This book is very difficult and can take many months to really grasp the materials. So here's my question... when do you know you have graduated from the DAT Destroyer? meaning when do you know you have done everything to study the DAT Destroyer? Especially for biology section. Is it when you can recite all the definition on this book and relate to question? or is it something more than just that?

Oh, and I would like to participate in this, however I already have DAT Destroyer. However, I do not have Math Destroyer.

Thank you!

Hi Jack,

So nice of you to stop by my friend Jack. I know the DAT Destroyer is VERY challenging and it was designed for the student who wants to get really high DAT scores, as as you can see from what Feralis posted on his thread the Bio in the Destroyer is on target, he scored 30. The Destroyer was never meant to be finished in a few weeks, it will take most students time to get through all the material. For the Bio make sure you know understand the correct choice as well as incorrect choices, there is also a lot of information packed inside the solutions.

Hope this answer your question, or can can pm Feralis and ask him for his experience.

Take care..Nancy

Members don't see this ad :)
In the ideal study situation, how do you recommend the books being used? Would it be best for one to utilize a flashcard program like Anki to create cards with all of the information?

Thank you so much for providing this amazing resource for us. I'm getting my ducks in order to study this summer and planning on taking the DAT at the end of July. What is the single, most important piece of advice you can give someone just beginning the study process? Are you seeing trends in how people study compared to their outcomes? I know how you study is pretty personalized, but I'm thinking along the line of "most people that study for 6 weeks seem to do better than those that study for 12 week" or anything like that?

Thank you so much for providing this amazing resource for us. I'm getting my ducks in order to study this summer and planning on taking the DAT at the end of July. What is the single, most important piece of advice you can give someone just beginning the study process? Are you seeing trends in how people study compared to their outcomes? I know how you study is pretty personalized, but I'm thinking along the line of "most people that study for 6 weeks seem to do better than those that study for 12 week" or anything like that?

Hi ajj70,

So much depends on the student, not all students come to the table with the same knowledge or GPA. It's very hard to give the same advice to a student with an average GPA compared to a 4.0 student. If you have great strength in all the subjects and a good GPA, you might need less time than than a student who is weak or perhaps a student who has been away from the subjects for several years. There is also the non-traditional student or a test taker that is a dentist in another Country that has pass the American DAT. So many senarios.

As far as our materials, the DAT and Math Destroyer, you most go through them in their entirety. Everything is important! And as I have written many time not all tests are the same.

Once you are very comfortable with the level of work in the Destroyers, then you are prepared. Our work is very challenging but so is the DAT!

How long that takes depends on the individual and how much time they have each day to study, some students work and have other obligations, others are fancy free and have all the time in the world.

As you can see a blanket response will not work. Our students in our classroom, we have 160 students studying with us this summer in NYC, will begin June 1st and the class ends August 15. The students will start taking the test soon after, some immediately while others will study longer.

So 8 - 12 weeks is a good general rule of thumb for study time.

Wow this was a long answer, hope I didn't make too many typos, will check, but please excuse any I miss. I am VERY busy at this time of year.

Take care and Good Luck!

Nancy

Hi Dear Dr. Romano and Nancy,

As you know there are other materials besides destroyer out there to prepare students for DAT. I would like to know what materials do you recommend students use in addition to DAT destroyer and Math destroyer?
Also, recently Orgoman released a new product called general chemistry destroyer. I would like to know if you guys are planning to release any products related to biochemistry since the new MCAT will test students on that.

Thank you.

Hey orgoman22! Thanks for doing this! I just have a question regarding how to study for the organic chemistry section of the DAT using the DAT Destroyer. Any tips or tricks? In my organic chemistry class, I've always had an issue with choosing the right solvents to get to a certain product or identifying what would be the starting product. Are there any study skills you suggest I employ? Thanks again! :)

Does your review material cover the new/upcoming statistics topics that wil be added to the exam?

Hello Everyone,

Dr. Romano and I promise to answer questions tomorrow! VERY busy day preparing for our DAT students that will be studying with us this summer.

Thanks for your patience!

Nancy

Hi Dr. Romano/Nancy,

For the Organic Chemistry section, are we expected to know the reactions and mechanisms of carbohydrates and proteins? In the second half of my organic chemistry course, those were the last topics we went over but the ADA guide does not mention them.

Secondly, would you recommend any supplemental materials that I should get along with the DAT/Math Destroyer? What would you recommend for the perceptual ability part of the test?

Thank you!

Hi Dr. Romano/Nancy,

For the Organic Chemistry section, are we expected to know the reactions and mechanisms of carbohydrates and proteins? In the second half of my organic chemistry course, those were the last topics we went over but the ADA guide does not mention them.

Secondly, would you recommend any supplemental materials that I should get along with the DAT/Math Destroyer? What would you recommend for the perceptual ability part of the test?

Thank you!

I would like to know this as well. I'm working on ordering my study materials to start studying this week (any idea when you will announce winners??). I've been holding off buying the books just in case I win :D.

Hello, I have DAT Destroyer 2014 version.
Is there substantial difference in the books?

Also, which material do you recommend for RC and QR?

We are delighted to participate again in SDN's annual Test Prep Week.

We will be offering 2 2015 DAT/Math Destroyer Combo Packages.

Winners will be chosen from amongst those who ask questions or otherwise contribute meaningfully to discussion.”

Good luck to all!

Dr. Jim Romano And Nancy Steen

prod_DAT-Basic_Cover.jpg

2015 DAT Destroyer and Math Destroyer Combo Package
Our best selling package
Combo package includes the DAT Destroyer containing Organic Chemistry, Biology, Quantitative Reasoning and General Chemistry and the Math Destroyer contains 640 problems and detailed solutions, broken down into 16 separate tests that you can use to simulate the actual test.
Who is the winner?

Congratulations to the winners!

Winner 1) Member: mouthhole
Winner 2) Member: zenrookie

Your books will be shipped today and arrive in approx 7 business days.

Wishing everyone the best in your studies and on the DAT!

Dr. Jim Romano and Nancy

Interesting results....

Congratulations to the winners!

Winner 1) Member: mouthhole
Winner 2) Member: zenrookie

Your books will be shipped today and arrive in approx 7 business days.

Wishing everyone the best in your studies and on the DAT!

Dr. Jim Romano and Nancy

Dr. Romano/Nancy,

Is there any way us non-winners could get a discount on your books :happy:?