SDSU/UCSD joint program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jumpergirl311

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Could anyone tell me more about the San Diego State University and UC San Diego joint doctoral program in clinical psychology?

http://www.psychology.sdsu.edu/doctoral/

I'm particularly interested in its reputation, its focus (research vs. practice), and the quality of education.

It's the only school I'm looking at that requires the GRE subject test, so I'm trying to decide if I really want to apply there or not.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Can't give you too many specifics, but I nearly applied (made my top 20, but not the top 13 I eventually applied to). Seems like a really solid program all around, but especially good in the neuropsych/biological psych realm. Quite research oriented from what I could tell, but given the location I'd be willing to bet there are plenty of interesting clinical opportunities as well.

I think we have at least one person who goes there (though I can't for the life of me remember who it is), so perhaps they can vouch for the quality of the education. From the outside looking in it seemed good, but that's not worth nearly as much as an insider's perspective.

I have a few friends who graduated from the joint program. Overall, it's very solid and has a great reputation. Because the faculty are drawn from both psychology and psychiatry, there are a host of options in terms of faculty mentorship and there is exposure to multiple viewpoints. Graduates typically go on to good internships and jobs.

The downsides, as far as I can tell, are the following: The course load is quite heavy in this program. I'm not entirely certain why - perhaps it has to do with meeting requirements of 2 universities? But it seemed that my colleagues took a lot more classes than I needed to. Further, because everyone is so spread out across so many different laboratories, there doesn't seem to be very much student cohesion. For example, I met someone who was only one year behind a friend of mine in the program, and she didn't know my friend at all! Also, my understanding is that one university is on quarters while the other is on semesters - so my friends always got stuck with VERY little time off.

Hope that helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
From what I hear graduates are well prepared in both research and practice, though this program does put a premium on research. There are many faculty to choose to work with (if they're taking students) and a very many research opportunities. The UCSD part is in the psychiatric dept while the SDSU half is in the SDSU psych dept. Most of the classes are at SDSU, though there are some at UCSD. UCSD is on quarters while SDSU is semester based. This does indeed shorten up any "breaks" you might think you'd get. The program is spread out, that is some students have their lab at SDSU and some at UCSD, so it is possible to miss some people who are a class above or below you. I believe, in the first year, the first semester only requires three courses, then one course in the winter (UCSD) and three more in the spring semester. That doesn't seem like too many classes to me, and, from what I hear, it's pretty manageable.

This program is really top notch and is well respected in each of its specialty areas. Graduates can indeed expect to be leaders in their field. The complexity of the program is a consequence of joining the two campuses (campi ?), but well worth it.

PM me if you have any other questions about the program. If I can't answer them, I bet I know some who can.

Also, take the psych GRE. Why limit your options by avoiding a test you can easily ace? Really, the psych GRE is not that bad.

Hi,

I wanted to ask about any more updated feedback on this program. I'm weighing this program against another offer I'm also excited about, and wonder about the program reputation, quality of training, any insight from people who attended, student quality of life, and so on. Anything you have to offer would be helpful- even from people who interviewed there and chose to go elsewhere. Thanks!

Hi,

I wanted to ask about any more updated feedback on this program. I'm weighing this program against another offer I'm also excited about, and wonder about the program reputation, quality of training, any insight from people who attended, student quality of life, and so on. Anything you have to offer would be helpful- even from people who interviewed there and chose to go elsewhere. Thanks!
I have a few friends in this program and from everything I hear it is excellent. You cannot beat San Diego for location and if you are not a native Californian I think you will find the weather a great change. The program has an excellent reputation in clinical psychology and they have a great neuropsych focus. Research that I have seen coming out of the program is strong, and I don't believe you will have any problems with externships or placement. My friends have all had opportunities to publish and they have all hit the ground running in terms of patient interaction. I also hear that the funding is good. I would take an offer there :)

I know quite a few individuals in the program. Great program, wonderful reputation--tons of opportunity for collaboration, research, clinical experience, etc. It's an awesome place for networking. The neuropsych track is particularly strong (as are the others). While entering cohorts are generally larger than other schools, this is not because each faculty mentor takes more than one student--rather there are many faculty members between the two schools. Each cohort is generally very close to their own cohort and know individuals in other cohorts based on clinic supervision groups, similar labs, or similar tracks. The training is great as well. The quarter system at UCSD and the semester system at SDSU make things a bit odd in terms of time off, but I don't know anyone that has complained about this. Depending on who your adviser will be though, the level of flexibility between lab/clinic/classes will vary. I know many of the faculty so feel free to PM me with specific questions.

San diego as a city is WONDERFUL. Tons to do, lots of places to go--if you live closer to UCSD you'll be very close to the beach and hiking, close to SDSU you'll be closer to just hiking. The sun is out 95% of the year, and the weather is HEAVENLY. While the students are very serious about their work/classes, they do also take time to have fun. The cohort I know most tends to go out a lot together and people do make time to relax and try new things. There are awesome restaurants out here as well. Cost of living on the other hand, is pretty high. (More expensive towards UCSD, but still relatively pricey near SDSU). Will you be living with a partner, roommate, or alone? What is the other school you're considering if you don't mind me asking?

Again, feel free to contact me with specific questions and congratulations! This is many people's dream program and it's amazing to have been accepted. :)

Wow, thanks for this great feedback, everyone! It's certainly helping to round out my thinking about the program. Thanks so much!

I know quite a few individuals in the program. Great program, wonderful reputation--tons of opportunity for collaboration, research, clinical experience, etc. It's an awesome place for networking. The neuropsych track is particularly strong (as are the others). While entering cohorts are generally larger than other schools, this is not because each faculty mentor takes more than one student--rather there are many faculty members between the two schools. Each cohort is generally very close to their own cohort and know individuals in other cohorts based on clinic supervision groups, similar labs, or similar tracks. The training is great as well. The quarter system at UCSD and the semester system at SDSU make things a bit odd in terms of time off, but I don't know anyone that has complained about this. Depending on who your adviser will be though, the level of flexibility between lab/clinic/classes will vary. I know many of the faculty so feel free to PM me with specific questions.

San diego as a city is WONDERFUL. Tons to do, lots of places to go--if you live closer to UCSD you'll be very close to the beach and hiking, close to SDSU you'll be closer to just hiking. The sun is out 95% of the year, and the weather is HEAVENLY. While the students are very serious about their work/classes, they do also take time to have fun. The cohort I know most tends to go out a lot together and people do make time to relax and try new things. There are awesome restaurants out here as well. Cost of living on the other hand, is pretty high. (More expensive towards UCSD, but still relatively pricey near SDSU). Will you be living with a partner, roommate, or alone? What is the other school you're considering if you don't mind me asking?

Again, feel free to contact me with specific questions and congratulations! This is many people's dream program and it's amazing to have been accepted. :)

It was my dream program when I applied. Is VS Ramachandran still at UCSD?