search for a medical school

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Poorna prasath

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
1.I am a 12th grade student(current)-final year in high school,from India.
2.I am a visually handicapped person (loss of vision in only the right eye after an accident)

I am looking forward for medical schools that can accept me (with my non residential and handicapped cases)
Please help me with the above quest,
thanking you in advance.
 
1.I am a 12th grade student(current)-final year in high school,from India.
2.I am a visually handicapped person (loss of vision in only the right eye after an accident)

I am looking forward for medical schools that can accept me (with my non residential and handicapped cases)
Please help me with the above quest,
thanking you in advance.
the University of Wisconsin graduated a blind med student a few years ago.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
1.I am a 12th grade student(current)-final year in high school,from India.
2.I am a visually handicapped person (loss of vision in only the right eye after an accident)

I am looking forward for medical schools that can accept me (with my non residential and handicapped cases)
Please help me with the above quest,
thanking you in advance.

In the United States, most people first attend college before applying to medical school. If you come to the US and do college, then medical schools will not have a problem with you being monocular. However, many medical schools do not accept international students, so you will have to be a very good applicant.
 
Unless you complete your undergraduate or 90(?) credits in the US or Canada then almost no US or Canadian medical school will accept you. Furthermore without permanent residency status you will not be able to get a residency in the US.
 
1.I am a 12th grade student(current)-final year in high school,from India.
2.I am a visually handicapped person (loss of vision in only the right eye after an accident)

I am looking forward for medical schools that can accept me (with my non residential and handicapped cases)
Please help me with the above quest,
thanking you in advance.

You cannot get into any medical school without an undergraduate degree. You will need a green card + visa. It is very unlikely that you will be accepted and graduate due to your condition. Also, even if you do get accepted, getting a job will be even more difficult. Lastly, even if you do get the job which, by the way, is very unlikely, you will probably have to do something that doesn't require a lot of vision. Maybe psychiatry would work. Definitely not any type of surgery.
 
List of medical colleges that don't require undergrad:
1. None.

The American system is totally different from the British system.

I'd also add:

List of accredited American hospitals that don't require a green card:
1. None
 
You cannot get into any medical school without an undergraduate degree. You will need a green card + visa. It is very unlikely that you will be accepted and graduate due to your condition. Also, even if you do get accepted, getting a job will be even more difficult. Lastly, even if you do get the job which, by the way, is very unlikely, you will probably have to do something that doesn't require a lot of vision. Maybe psychiatry would work. Definitely not any type of surgery.

Not true, in fact only a few residency programs require and test for binocular vision. Further, medical schools don't require it on the whole. That being said, most wouldn't want to be a surgeon with just one eye, so it is somewhat self selecting
 
Not true, in fact only a few residency programs require and test for binocular vision. Further, medical schools don't require it on the whole. That being said, most wouldn't want to be a surgeon with just one eye, so it is somewhat self selecting

Yeah, but you're at a clear disadvantage when you're at an interview and they find out your condition.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yeah, but you're at a clear disadvantage when you're at an interview and they find out your condition.

Says who? Again, it isn't a requirement at most surgical residencies and, to my knowledge, it isn't something actually policed in med school admissions at any school either. Just because you are visually impaired doesn't mean you are going to be wearing an eye patch to make it obvious. Even if it is obvious, it is not going to keep you out of medical school and most surgical residencies don't care. When I said not a requirement for most surgical residencies to be binocular, I meant not a req NOR a factor.
 
It's pretty easy to tell if someone is blind. Doesn't take verbal communication to tell.

Completely blind, yes, blind or legally blind in one eye during a 15-30 minute interview? Not necessarily. I have a classmate who is legally blind in one eye, but you would never guess it. He was a tank in anatomy lab.

Obviously blind in one eye:
http://www.danitaschildren.org/the-children/margarite-s-story/

Not obviously blind in one eye:
http://blindinoneeye.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/David-Ford-FORD1008-2011-03-06.jpeg

Want to know of a one eyed surgeon?
Denis Burkitt, namesake of a certain type of lymphoma...
 
Last edited:
Additionally, there was a quadriplegic who got accepted to Hopkins as I recall. OP can certainly get into medical school with vision in one eye.
 
Additionally, there was a quadriplegic who got accepted to Hopkins as I recall. OP can certainly get into medical school with vision in one eye.

I think the OP's problem is not with his/her eye, but rather that she/he hasn't got into an American undergrad and also doesn't have a green card. That is unfortunately what is really preventing the OP from going to med school.
 
You cannot get into any medical school without an undergraduate degree. You will need a green card + visa. It is very unlikely that you will be accepted and graduate due to your condition. Also, even if you do get accepted, getting a job will be even more difficult. Lastly, even if you do get the job which, by the way, is very unlikely, you will probably have to do something that doesn't require a lot of vision. Maybe psychiatry would work. Definitely not any type of surgery.

I must say, I do agree with this poster. Although many of you can find odd cases where blind people become doctors, it's not a very likely situation. I'm not trying to crush the original posters dreams, however I truly think that given his/her current situation there is not much chance. I would look into becoming a doctor in our original country.