searching for info/insight on medical/clinical genetics residency/career

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mommy2three

PGY-1
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello all,
i am a student who is highly interested in this career as an option when all is said and done :). in fact, it is the whole reason i am in medical school, but that is a long story that is neither here nor there. what i am trying to do now is research what the day to day life is like in this career. i am finding it very challenging, to say the least, to find any information on what a typical day might consist of and i am hesitant to base my judgement on the one person i happened to talk to as i know not everyone's experiences are the same. i am hoping that someone out there might be able to offer some insight.
tia,
becky

Members don't see this ad.

hey is this thread still alive at all? OP are you out there?

hello all,
i am a student who is highly interested in this career as an option when all is said and done :). in fact, it is the whole reason i am in medical school, but that is a long story that is neither here nor there. what i am trying to do now is research what the day to day life is like in this career. i am finding it very challenging, to say the least, to find any information on what a typical day might consist of and i am hesitant to base my judgement on the one person i happened to talk to as i know not everyone's experiences are the same. i am hoping that someone out there might be able to offer some insight.
tia,
becky
Hi Becky,

Clinical genetics is a great career! If you are in family medicine, you should consider doing an elective with a medical geneticist to get an idea of what the day-to-day life is like. The only thing I can say with certainty is not day is like the other!! When your speciality is providing information and diagnosis for rare diseases, this should be a surprise.

Yes, you can do medical genetics after family medicine.