Sears optical

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

thanotoriousfob

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have been hearing that Sears could be going out of business this year. If this is true, how will this impact jobs for optometrists?
 
I'd count it a good thing. A bunch on crappy commercial joints gone. It seems to me though that few Sears opticals can even support a full time OD, I always see openings in the classifieds.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So basically bad for job prospects but good for optometry?

It's bad for job prospects in the short term but more than likely a sideways move for optometry in the long term.

Sears Optical GENERALLY caters to lower socio-economic patients or those with poorly reimbursing vision plans. If Sears closes, those patients will just move on to other establishments that cater to lower socio-economic patients and those with poorly reimbursing vision plans.