Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Seats for WV students.

Discussion in 'Pre-Veterinary' started by tiedyeddog, Jun 20, 2008.

1. 194342

Physician 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I know WV students have seats at Tuskegee(sp?), Georgia, and OSU. I was wondering if anyone could give statistics for interview/acceptance for those seats to Georgia and OSU based on GRE/GPA?

I've heard the WV applicant pool is super weak and some years OSU can't even fill the 5 seats alloted because they can't even get 5 students that make the GPA cut-off. Is this true? Any past/future WV applicants know much about this?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. VAgirl

VAgirl UC Davis SVM c/o 2012
    2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    She's not around much, but I know JerseyIsCutest is from WV, applied to OSU and UGA, and will be attending UGA in the fall.

3. JerseyisCutest

JerseyisCutest UGA c/o 2012
    2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student

#3 JerseyisCutest, Jun 20, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2008
  4. ri23

ri23 OSU CVM Class of 2011
    7+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    I believe OSU only accepted 1 WV student this year (at least that is the only student matriculating, though I'm nearly positive they didn't offer all 5 spots). Last year I am pretty sure they got all 5 spots. It really depends on the applicant pool at WV AND the rest of the applicants.

Remember that UGA doesn't interview, so the factors that OSU looks at (it weighs the interview more) may be different than the factors UGA looks at.

5. LVT2DVM

LVT2DVM UGA-CVM c/o 2013
    2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    Tiedyeddog--THe breakdown for UGA goes something like...

GPA = 45%
    GRE General + BIO subject = 30%
    File review (PS, experience, references) = 25%

The link for the last years acceptances and stats
    http://www.vet.uga.edu/admissions/statistics.php

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. reefervet

reefervet OSU c/o 2012
    2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    I have the stats for last year's class at OSU (for WV contract seats):

Avg. Applicant GPA: 3.72
    Avg. Interviewed GPA: 3.74
    Avg. Accepted GPA: 3.8

Avg. Applicant GRE: 1096.5
    Avg. Interviewed GRE: 1145
    Avg. Accepted GRE: 1142.5

28 applied, 19 interviewed, 11 offered, 6 accepted

7. 194342

Physician 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Jersey, if 5 WV students are above the cut-offs, isn't OSU obligated to accept them? WV pays for a good deal of the seat's tuition every year.

Also, my girlfriend has a high 3.8, Hasn't taken the GRE, and has around 800 Vet hours with two LOR's from vets. Any idea on chances of acceptance at OSU?

#7 194342, Jun 20, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2008
  8. ri23

ri23 OSU CVM Class of 2011
    7+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    WV only pays for those seats if the students are accepted and matriculate. OSU is not obligated to accept anyone, especially if they feel their other OOS candidates (or IS) are better qualified.

9. JerseyisCutest

JerseyisCutest UGA c/o 2012
    2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student

#9 JerseyisCutest, Jun 21, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2008
  10. reefervet

reefervet OSU c/o 2012
    2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    "Someone" got 6 directly from the student affairs office. It could have been a typo though, but it is repeated a couple of times in the document. Also, note that they offered 11. Do they only accept the first 5 to respond? That would seem strange. Maybe only the first 5 get the contract seats? I don't know. Either way, it doesn't really matter to me, just passing along the info I have.

#10 reefervet, Jun 21, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2008
  11. 194342

Physician 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Just to update. The god-awful state of West Virginia ended up ending the contract with OSU and picked up georgia and auburn(I think.) However, my girlfriend got into OSU first attempt out-of-state. I'm super proud, four years of dreaming and it finally happened! :)

12. No Imagination

5+ Year Member

Veterinarian
    I know Mississippi has 2 (I believe) contract seats with WV

13. candy16

2+ Year Member

I am a resident of WV (not really a God-awful state, actually!) and this year they did change the schools where we are contracted. Until this cycle, we had up to 6 seats at Georgia, 2 at Tuskegee, and 5 at Ohio. Ohio dropped us from their contract this year, a fact I found out rather abruptly during my interview there in Columbus in January :)eek:). The contract schools were officially changed this year (about 2 weeks before the VMCAS applications were due) to:

UGA is the same, up to 6 contract seats for WV residents
    Auburn has 2 contract seats for WV kids
    Mississippi State has 5 contract seats

Hope that helps!

14. 194342

Physician 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Question was answered months ago before OSU got dropped. My girlfriend found out about it 2 weeks AFTER the VMCAS submission date and the day after her dad died(worst day of my life, no joke.) It was WV's fault, they decided to inform OSU at a piss-poor time. She found out via email and she only applied to OSU thinking she would have had such a great chance with the seats.

She got in first try and found out a little under a week after the interview so I guess taking the seat away didn't matter, but, thanks anyway!

Edit: I lived in WV for 20 years and I hate this state. I'm glad I got the opportunity to do my undergrad somewhere else because this place BLOWS. :)

15. candy16

2+ Year Member

Agree to disagree. :)