Second Bachelor For Med School Pre req

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

staying with faith

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
I am dealing with bit of a dilemma. I have already recieved my bachelors, I need pre req for med school. I was thinking of re- enrolling in a second bachelor to get my pre- req for ed school, then not finishing the degree and apply to med school? The reason for me doing this instead of non degree is that second degree offers finiacial aid. Is this an effective way to get my pre req and how does it look to med school admission.? Also by the way, I would have just taken all courses at cc but they do not offer biochem. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I would talk with an adviser at the school your thinking on attending for pre-req and med school. See what programs and paths they recommend.

This is what I’m doing. I registered as degree-seeking because I need the financial aid. I declared as a biology major and by the time I finish prereqs and other recommended higher level courses (microbiology, neuro, physiology, etc) I’ll only be a couple courses away from completing the degree anyways (I got a lot of transfer credits from my first degree), so I think I’ll end up with the second bachelors degree as a bonus. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
It doesn't matter how you get the prerequisites; just get them.

Hello Everyone,
I am dealing with bit of a dilemma. I have already recieved my bachelors, I need pre req for med school. I was thinking of re- enrolling in a second bachelor to get my pre- req for ed school, then not finishing the degree and apply to med school? The reason for me doing this instead of non degree is that second degree offers finiacial aid. Is this an effective way to get my pre req and how does it look to med school admission.? Also by the way, I would have just taken all courses at cc but they do not offer biochem. Thanks
This also provides you with a better spot for class registration usually too.

I am having an issue at this time. I graduated with my bachelors' in nursing and have been working as a RN for three years. I do not want to be a "mid-level" provider thus NP, and have always had a desire to be a physician. My BSN GPA overall was 2.7, and I never took pre-med prerequisites, the classes were all nursing based, in fact the anatomy and physiology couldn't even be used for my BSN. I am thinking of obtaining a second bachelors' degree in biology and plan to make a 4.0 GPA. I have gone part time even at work in order to start in August of 2018. Any suggestions?

You’ll save money be becoming a bachelors degree seeking student again because as you said, you’ll be eligible for financial aid. Degree completion and titles don’t matter (well you need one bachelors degree), just take the classes you need for prerequisites and consider a few more after those if you need to really boost the GPA

Hello Everyone,
Yes. :)