Second bachelor's in engineering after music performance degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1072075

What do you guys think about a second bachelors? Ive been looking into online medical admissions counselors but everyone suggests to ask reddit or SDN (my schools pre-health advising isn't strong). I posted here about a month ago asking if I should add a double major in biochemistry as a junior in music performance. All responses were advising me to not pursue a double major in biochem. I've still thought about this idea though. I've heard from some people and forums that medical school admissions like the diversity that could come from a music student. However, I find myself disappointed with what I will have in my portfolio. I won't be able to easily get research with this degree, even in medical school I believe that my background will hold me back. If I was, say, to acquire and excel in a degree in physics or engineering, I think that medical schools and PI's would see me as competent and I would have the background knowledge to contribute meaningfully to a discipline. I also am a quiet person, I think it would help if I had a full degrees worth of time to find and develop relationships with science professors.

After I initially considered biochemistry, I explored the website of the (v good) engineering college at my university. They have a nuclear engineering degree with a specialization in medicine / radiology. It just happens to be that radiology is my favored specialty. I've been in contact with my school, the engineering college. And they've told me I can't transfer because I'm too late in my degree, but I can apply to get a second bachelors after I complete my music degree. My parents say they will pay for a second degree if this is what I want to do, they understand what happened to get me to this decision(long story). I feel a little bit guilty that I didn't realize what I wanted sooner, but I am happy I still have a chance to do something as interesting and stimulating as this. What do you all think? Is this a strong plan?

Oh, also, how do I know what engineering (or physics?) discipline will help me further the field of radiology? I don't want to just sit on my butt and follow pre-made instructions for diagnosing patients (well I do want to do this a little bit), I also want to be on the forefront of medicine and help people by working hard and pushing myself mentally.

Members don't see this ad.

I really think this would be a waste of time/$ IF you are only doing it for med school admissions*, there are plenty of non-science majors and you really don’t need anything besides the pre-reqs. Maybe add a minor? Or just take some upper level science electives beyond the prereqs. If you want to build relationships with professors go to office hours!! You don’t need research either, but I was able to get into a premed summer research program as a non science major. You can also reach out to professors whose classes you have taken. It doesn’t even necessarily have to be science research! Remember you and/or your parents have to pay for med school too if that is your plan.

I would recommend spending time studying for the MCAT, shadowing and getting clinical experience.

*If you wanted to pursue a CAREER in engineering that’s different.

ETA: Not to break your bubble but I am not sure an undergrad degree is gonna be seen as having the strong background to make a change in the field. To be blunt... tons of people have a science or adjacent bachelor’s in medical school, it’s not special, and I think the real independent thought process comes with research or masters/PhD (which I would not recommend just to boost your app btw!). You will learn about your field while in residency!

I really think this would be a waste of time/$ IF you are only doing it for med school admissions*, there are plenty of non-science majors and you really don’t need anything besides the pre-reqs. Maybe add a minor? Or just take some upper level science electives beyond the prereqs. If you want to build relationships with professors go to office hours!! You don’t need research either, but I was able to get into a premed summer research program as a non science major. You can also reach out to professors whose classes you have taken. It doesn’t even necessarily have to be science research! Remember you and/or your parents have to pay for med school too if that is your plan.

I would recommend spending time studying for the MCAT, shadowing and getting clinical experience.

*If you wanted to pursue a CAREER in engineering that’s different.

Ah thanks for your reply! I don't think I'm wanting to pursue a career in engineering, it's more I think it would be cool to combine engineering and medicine in the end game. So, not strictly for medical school admissions, although the research stuff and bonding with professors would definitely help with the side of admissions I feel weak on. I like your advice though of office hours and the summer program! I'l look into it, and if I decide not to pursue a second degree I'll def go to office hours.

Members don't see this ad :)
ETA: Not to break your bubble but I am not sure an undergrad degree is gonna be seen as having the strong background to make a change in the field. To be blunt... tons of people have a science or adjacent bachelor’s in medical school, it’s not special, and I think the real independent thought process comes with research or masters/PhD (which I would not recommend just to boost your app btw!). You will learn about your field while in residency!
[/QUOTE]

I mean, it's okay to break my bubble. I want to know things like this. And I don't see it as special, but more that I have zero education on engineering right now, but would like some. I'm looking to gain the real independent thought process. I'm not trying to be special, or just gain admissions. I would consider MS/PhD

As an M4 and former engineering major I can tell you that this is a horrible idea for several reasons. First off is that engineering is difficult intellectually. In fact I'd argue that the subject matter is more difficult than medicine since medicine is basically just millions of little tiny facts that have to be put together to understand dysfunction. Engineering is multi-dimensional conceptual math and physics.

Second reason is that engineering professors generally don't care about giving out good grades because, by and large, engineers don't need to get great grades to get a good job. GPA is very important for med school, so having a meh GPA even if it's a difficult major isn't going to help you.

Third reason is that engineering won't cover most of what will be in medical school so you'll have to take additional classes, which makes the whole process even longer/harder. As someone planning to apply to IR/DR, knowledge of physics is something that won't come into play until at least R2 and realistically not until you take your boards.

My advice, since you already have an outside degree, is to do either a DIY post-bacc or get a bachelor's in something related to med school. Engineering is awesome but the risk/reward for med school isn't worth it.

Reactions: 1 user
superkewl said:
What do you guys think about a second bachelors? Ive been looking into online medical admissions counselors but everyone suggests to ask reddit or SDN (my schools pre-health advising isn't strong). I posted here about a month ago asking if I should add a double major in biochemistry as a junior in music performance. All responses were advising me to not pursue a double major in biochem. I've still thought about this idea though. I've heard from some people and forums that medical school admissions like the diversity that could come from a music student. However, I find myself disappointed with what I will have in my portfolio. I won't be able to easily get research with this degree, even in medical school I believe that my background will hold me back. If I was, say, to acquire and excel in a degree in physics or engineering, I think that medical schools and PI's would see me as competent and I would have the background knowledge to contribute meaningfully to a discipline. I also am a quiet person, I think it would help if I had a full degrees worth of time to find and develop relationships with science professors.

After I initially considered biochemistry, I explored the website of the (v good) engineering college at my university. They have a nuclear engineering degree with a specialization in medicine / radiology. It just happens to be that radiology is my favored specialty. I've been in contact with my school, the engineering college. And they've told me I can't transfer because I'm too late in my degree, but I can apply to get a second bachelors after I complete my music degree. My parents say they will pay for a second degree if this is what I want to do, they understand what happened to get me to this decision(long story). I feel a little bit guilty that I didn't realize what I wanted sooner, but I am happy I still have a chance to do something as interesting and stimulating as this. What do you all think? Is this a strong plan?

Oh, also, how do I know what engineering (or physics?) discipline will help me further the field of radiology? I don't want to just sit on my butt and follow pre-made instructions for diagnosing patients (well I do want to do this a little bit), I also want to be on the forefront of medicine and help people by working hard and pushing myself mentally.
No

DocJanitor said:
My advice, since you already have an outside degree, is to do either a DIY post-bacc or get a bachelor's in something related to med school. Engineering is awesome but the risk/reward for med school isn't worth it.
Yes, agree 100% w/this. Med schools will ask you why you don't want to be an engineer--it's kind of like reverse psychology.

OP, if you are serious about medicine, work on your volunteering/clinical exp/shadowing/LORs, and study hard for the MCAT. Make sure that you have a solid answer for "why medicine." I'd recommend getting the shadowing in first, so that you can see if this is something for you.

Good luck

If you have the money to do a second bachlor's, doing a career changer post bac and/or SMP is a much more straight forward path to getting in to medical school; then you can figure out how to revolutionize radiology. I would look specifically for the post bacs that target people who havent done any of the prereqs rather than the ones meant for premed gpa repair.

zorcandpals said:
If you have the money to do a second bachlor's, doing a career changer post bac and/or SMP is a much more straight forward path to getting in to medical school; then you can figure out how to revolutionize radiology. I would look specifically for the post bacs that target people who havent done any of the prereqs rather than the ones meant for premed gpa repair.
As has been mentioned elsewhere on this forum, doing a SMP is a last resort option and should be treated exactly as such. Your performance in a SMP will make or break your application--you'll be taking classes alongside med students, so you better be able to perform at at least 50% or better than them to make As--this is what's considered "passing" as a med student.

SMPs are a costly, risky, but occasionally effective way to get into med school. If you haven't already completed the pre-reqs, I'd recommend a post-bacc.

Reactions: 1 users
No

Yes, agree 100% w/this. Med schools will ask you why you don't want to be an engineer--it's kind of like reverse psychology.

OP, if you are serious about medicine, work on your volunteering/clinical exp/shadowing/LORs, and study hard for the MCAT. Make sure that you have a solid answer for "why medicine." I'd recommend getting the shadowing in first, so that you can see if this is something for you.

Good luck
Agree about the shadowing. OP, your ideas for your career seem a bit all over the place. Which is fine! It’s totally normal to explore what you really want to do with your life, and for that to change. However, I’d put a lot more research into this before committing. If you can’t shadow due to the pandemic maybe head over to the rads and MD/PhD forums and see if your ideas for your career fit. Find a way to talk to a biochemical engineer too. Any doctor can do research and radiologists are not diagnosis automatons. (There’s also nuclear med and rad onc which may interest you.) At the same time, if product development is what you’re thinking of that may fit more with straight biochemical engineering. I don’t know enough about the fields of radiology or engineering to give you a great answer about these specifics which is why I recommend talking to people actually in those careers. Shadow other doctors too to see if you’re interested in a physician career in general (your specialty interests may change).

Last edited:
I think a background in BME is a great idea. If you're young, why not? My concern...and I hate to say it...would be the lack of grade inflation in engineering. One needs to get as many As as possible.

I think a background in BME is a great idea. If you're young, why not? My concern...and I hate to say it...would be the lack of grade inflation in engineering. One needs to get as many As as possible.
Lack of grade inflation is putting it mildly. Engineering isn't just something you "try out". It takes a ton of advanced math, physics (thermodynamics, heat transfer, fluid mechanics), and in most cases materials engineering just to be able to learn the real engineering concepts. The rate of engineering major attrition is high compared to most other degrees.

If this was a first degree then I'd say give it a shot. But because OP doesn't need another degree nor will this do them any favors, it seems like a poor choice unless engineering is another possible career path.

Reactions: 1 users
The OP has asked this question previously and has been advised by several admissions people, including myself, as to the ill wisdom of these ideas.

The OP did not wish to take our advice.

Reactions: 3 users