Second Bachelors

Started by deleted92121
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

D

deleted92121

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I already have a B.S. in Natural Science from a top 25 school plus courses from other colleges/universities. My AACOMAS GPA is 2.7 (~200 credits). My science GPA is 3.3 and MCAT of 31.

Unfortunately, my undergraduate institution will not allow me to retake two semesters worth of courses in a very specialized major (Emergency Medicine). So it would take a lot of additional courses to boost my GPA to a 3.0 at least. Plus doing courses a la carte is tough due to no loans or financing available since I would be non-degree seeking.

However, I can complete a B.S. at a nearby university as a second degree student and still get some student loans/funding. It would not be in a science program but since it is my cumulative GPA that is in the dumps, that hardly seems to be an issue.

Plus the program would only cost around $8k and I would only have to take ~40 credits since they count my previous courses for my electives. This plan would take approximately 3 semesters.

Does this sound like a reasonable idea?

P.S. I am aware SMP programs exist but due to my low GPA, I have been rejected by many of them.