Second ionization energy > cation ionization from noble gas configuration??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zuras

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had a question that went something like: Which would require the most energy to remove a electron from:
Na1+
Na2+

The answer is supposedly na2, so if that's true, is this situation considered a general trend? Where second ionization requires more energy no matter what??

Members don't see this ad.

Zuras said:
I had a question that went something like: Which would require the most energy to remove a electron from:
Na1+
Na2+

The answer is supposedly na2, so if that's true, is this situation considered a general trend? Where second ionization requires more energy no matter what??

when you remove one electron and make Na+1..it will be harder to remove another electron because it has a positive chage and will hold on the electron more tightly...

third IE > second IE > first IE

NilamPatel said:
when you remove one electron and make Na+1..it will be harder to remove another electron because it has a positive chage and will hold on the electron more tightly...

third IE > second IE > first IE

Right, but Na1+ has noble gas configuration, which it also doesn't want to give up.

Zuras said:
Right, but Na1+ has noble gas configuration, which it also doesn't want to give up.

another reason why it won't give up any electrons..its stable, it doesn't want to have halogen config. if you tried REALLY hard you could take an electron off but it takes too much energy, in theory it works but not practically...

for cpds like Mg when they are +1..its also harder to make it +2..but not as hard as Na because making it +2 will lead to noble gas config...

im sorry im not sure if im answering the questions or just repeating myself?

Members don't see this ad :)
Looks a bit like you are repeating me, actually. I already stated Na1+ has noble configuration, and ionization energy 3>2>1> is incredibly obvious.

Na1+ has noble configuration, meaning it should take a "lot of energy" to ionize it again Additionally it is in its 2nd ionization, meaning it should require a "lot of energy".( notice there are two "lot of energy" here)

Na2+ is on its 3rd ionization, which should require a lot of energy, and a lot of energy that has to at least exceed one of the "lot of energy" above in regards to second ionization energy.
I

Zuras said:
Looks a bit like you are repeating me, actually. I already stated Na1+ has noble configuration, and ionization energy 3>2>1> is incredibly obvious.

Na1+ has noble configuration, meaning it should take a "lot of energy" to ionize it again Additionally it is in its 2nd ionization, meaning it should require a "lot of energy".( notice there are two "lot of energy" here)

Na2+ is on its 3rd ionization, which should require a lot of energy, and a lot of energy that has to at least exceed one of the "lot of energy" above in regards to second ionization energy.
I

what about for mg? is the first ionization energy smaller than the second?