Second look lab interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Calf

Eat more chicken!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone been on interviews with potential PI's for your first rotation yet?

What should I expect? Should it be treated like a job interview? Should I bring anything?

I'm assuming they probably wouldn't have our application or anything, given that we've already been accepted.

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone been on interviews with potential PI's for your first rotation yet?

What should I expect? Should it be treated like a job interview? Should I bring anything?

I'm assuming they probably wouldn't have our application or anything, given that we've already been accepted.

My experience has been more that they are trying to recruit you than you trying to recruit them. Rotation students are free labor + you will be md/phd + they get to try you out for 2ish months before committing a dime to you.

If anything, they are the ones on the hot seat. You should be finding out what life would be like in their lab and how good they are. If anything, I would suggest reading some of their papers, coming up questions and seeing, in person, how good they really are. Make them convince you that their school is up to par. I'm not recommending anything crazy, just saying that the tables are turned now. Treat it as if you were interviewing them to accept them to have you as a graduate student. I've worn jeans, read a couple papers, and just tried to see if I'd enjoy their research and if I thought they actually knew their stuff. Your job interview will be your actual rotation. As for having read your application, my experience was that it was available but was read as far as skimming for u grad, current job, and names of recommenders for familiar names.

i just went to visit my new school for a third time and talked with ~10 faculty members for the sole purpose of trying to find a rotation/possibly scan the horizon for a PhD mentor. it's very, very laid back - you hear about their research, talk a little about why you're interested in what they're doing and just generally have an easygoing conversation. i wouldn't stress about it at all. second look was the same, except i only got to talk to 3 faculty members.

all of the professors i talked to actually DID have my application info and i was actually asked questions about my personal statement (which NEVER happened during the interviews at this particular school). however, the questions were of mere interest, certainly nothing to worry about. as itsallthesame said, most just commented on my recommenders (you'll find out just how small of a world it really is) and briefly on my previous research experience. just go and have fun, for reals.

more specifically, the method that i came up with was to go talk to these professors with only a very basic knowledge of what they did - i.e. apoptosis, modeling human disease in mice, targeted gene therapy, etc - and then have them try to convince you its a cool topic for research. then afterwards, pick your top 3 or 4 and read a whole bunch of papers on them. after that, it should be pretty easy to pick your favorite PI with whom to rotate this summer (or whenever). if you're worried about lab atmosphere, the best way to find out how a lab operates is to get in touch with the students. the PIs all willingly gave me names and emails of people i should talk to, and frankly they encouraged it as well.

Yeah, talking with current/past students seems like a very very good idea.