Second Look Weekends?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

husky0684

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Feedback from any schools would be nice.... I was wandering do medical schools that have "second look" weekends for those people accepted, does the school cover the costs of that weekend?(i.e. travel, lodging, food, etc.) or is it something that the accepted student pays for out of pocket? In addition, what should one usually expect at the second look weekends? Was anyone really swayed by the second look weekends to pick a school that you might not have initially considered your favorite? thanks for any feedback!

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on the school. Vanderbilt pays for transportation/lodging/food, U Chicago paid for transportation/lodging/food, Wash U just paid for lodging and a few meals... it varies.

Second looks are basically like the interview day without the interview - get a chance to look around, meet other people who are considering the school, and meet the students... just in a more relaxing atmosphere.

And no, I wasn't swayed by the second look - in fact, it confirmed what I had thought before.

Good luck!

I have no idea if my school pays for any of it other than provided meals (I didn't get accepted in time to go), but I know a lot of students who came (especially from out of state) were already pretty sure they were attending and used the opportunity to bring SOs/parents and look around at housing options.

Members don't see this ad :)
I went to as many second looks as I could, and the experience def swayed me. It gave me more time to examine the schools, but more importantly to try to imagine student life, all the while not being stressed about interviewing.

Most schools do have 2nd looks for some applicants, and most do pay for them. Although, I don't think any of the public TX schools pay for 2nd look weekends.

Also, not everyone is invited to second look weekend, so don't assume that it's open to all applicants.