Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Second look?

Discussion in 'Internal Medicine and IM Subspecialties' started by Fermi, Dec 7, 2005.

1. Fermi

Fermi Senior Member
    15+ Year Member

I saw a thread about "second look" days in the General Residency forum and was wondering if this is common for IM programs. Some folks on the general board were hinting that a second look is "strongly encouraged" at some places if you want to be ranked well. I've only heard one mention of the second look during my interview days so far. Has anyone else been told about a second look. and are you going?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. inositide

inositide Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

most places that i have been to made a point of saying that second looks are OK but definitely not required nor expected.

4. BStein76

BStein76 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Most of the programs I went to have mentioned that they would be happy to set up additional interviews with specific faculty or tours, but they also have said that it is not necessary and would not affect their applicant ranking.

5. ShizzleDaZam

ShizzleDaZam Membership Revoked
    Removed

couple of the program directors and one in particular said, it's not feasible to have second looks. Especially if you don't live in the area, and have to fly here again to the vicinity, book a hotel, and have a second look...

which I agree, I can't possibly fly to my top three choices, book a hotel again, pay another $100 and hope that the program ranks me...it doesn't make any sense..

on the other hand, if hte program wants to pay for my second look expenses....then I would be happy to oblige...but it doesnt make any sense to me whatsoever to consider second looks as a sign of interest... :rolleyes: