Second looks and communicating with programs post-interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorWannaBe

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
At several of my interviews, my interviewer has given me their direct phone number or email address in case I have questions. Should I email the people at my top choices so they know I'm really interested (even if that means I have to make up a question)?

Also, almost every program has offered to let people come on a second look if we are interested. Do programs expect you to go on a second look in order to show your true interest, or is it more just for me to be sure of my decision?

Members don't see this ad.

no need to makeup a question. if you want your top program to know you love them, email or call the PD and some of your interviewers that you clicked particularly well with and just tell them that.

aProg, what about the argument that a second look shows serious interest and that programs want people who want to be there? happy residents make productive residents - that sort of argument.

no need to makeup a question. if you want your top program to know you love them, email or call the PD and some of your interviewers that you clicked particularly well with and just tell them that.

aProg, what about the argument that a second look shows serious interest and that programs want people who want to be there? happy residents make productive residents - that sort of argument.

Well, it may have a small influence, but most of the rank list is determined by other factors. I expect it is program dependent.

I am starting to wind down my interviews and I was wondering if I should send another email to the PD of my top three choices. I already sent thank yous to all the PD and people who interviewed me but I want to make sure my top three know how interested I am. So my question is are these letters important and what should I say. I hope that these programs already know how much I like them but it can't hurt to be sure. Any advice appreciated.:)

I am starting to wind down my interviews and I was wondering if I should send another email to the PD of my top three choices. I already sent thank yous to all the PD and people who interviewed me but I want to make sure my top three know how interested I am. So my question is are these letters important and what should I say. I hope that these programs already know how much I like them but it can't hurt to be sure. Any advice appreciated.:)

This is very similar to the question above. You cannot hurt yourself by sending a nice note. Do not expect it to have a huge effect on your match.

FWIW, I was an OK (AOA, mult. publications, very strong recs, good Step 2 score) but not top notch (unknown med school, average Step 1 score) applicant to a fairly competitive specialty.

I did a second look at my #1 choice, but only since I genuinely wanted a closer look at a program. It was my last interview, and I went into the interview thinking I didn't have a real chance of matching there and not expecting to like the place that much (had a malignant reputation). When I got what I perceived to be some positive feedback after my interview, I figured I owed it to myself to take a closer look so I arranged a second look. I already had a few places I liked and knew I woud be happy at, but this was a very well respected institution in a place I'd have liked to live, so I felt it would be good to take another look.

After I ended up matching there, one of my faculty members who knows my new chairman was speaking to him about me, and the Chairman specifically stated that the fact that I bothered to fly back to do a second look was looked favorably upon. Incidentally, a faculty member I only met on my second look was also apparently one of my strongest advocates during the rank list meeting. Maybe I would have ended up there anyway and maybe not, but in a residency program that tends not to go very deep in their rank list, being pushed up a spot or two may make all the difference in the world.

So, my advice is that although I do think it is specialty and program-specific, I do think a second look can influence your position. Still, I only think you should do a second look if you honestly, genuinely feel that another day to see how a place runs will help you differentiate programs when it comes rank list time.

Bitsy, you just give good advice...time and time again. Thank you very much.

FWIW, I was an OK (AOA, mult. publications, very strong recs, good Step 2 score) but not top notch (unknown med school, average Step 1 score) applicant to a fairly competitive specialty.

I did a second look at my #1 choice, but only since I genuinely wanted a closer look at a program. It was my last interview, and I went into the interview thinking I didn't have a real chance of matching there and not expecting to like the place that much (had a malignant reputation). When I got what I perceived to be some positive feedback after my interview, I figured I owed it to myself to take a closer look so I arranged a second look. I already had a few places I liked and knew I woud be happy at, but this was a very well respected institution in a place I'd have liked to live, so I felt it would be good to take another look.

After I ended up matching there, one of my faculty members who knows my new chairman was speaking to him about me, and the Chairman specifically stated that the fact that I bothered to fly back to do a second look was looked favorably upon. Incidentally, a faculty member I only met on my second look was also apparently one of my strongest advocates during the rank list meeting. Maybe I would have ended up there anyway and maybe not, but in a residency program that tends not to go very deep in their rank list, being pushed up a spot or two may make all the difference in the world.

So, my advice is that although I do think it is specialty and program-specific, I do think a second look can influence your position. Still, I only think you should do a second look if you honestly, genuinely feel that another day to see how a place runs will help you differentiate programs when it comes rank list time.

I think the difference between your story and what AProg is talking about is you specifically scheduled a second look. This is versus an actual second-look event where all applicants are invited. Just a thought.

so... big question...
If you are an IMG, and the program already knows that you are very very interested (besides, you are always very interested when you are foreing), is it advisable to go back for a second look?
please advice...
thanks.