Second Residency in Anesthesiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prinzmetal7

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am a PGY-2 Pediatrics Resident at a university based program on the west coast. In medical school, I was split between IM, Pediatrics, and Anesthesiology. I ultimately decided on Pediatrics, which I enjoy, but I greatly miss anesthesia and the OR environment. I am considering applying for a second residency in Anesthesiology and wanted to inquire about the process for doing so.

Would completing my pediatrics residency qualify me to apply for a position straight into anesthesiology residency, or would I have to complete a preliminary year in internal medicine? I have the option of doing electives in anesthesiology during my current residency. Would this be the best way to gain LOR's? Would I have a chance considering I will have already completed a residency (have heard several different things regarding residency funding)? Would it be helpful for me to reach out to the anesthesiology PD at my current program? Other thoughts are appreciated as well.

Thank You

Members don't see this ad.

Reach out to the PD at your current institution and get his take on it. There have been a handful of residents at my program who completed other residencies (IM and EM) prior to entering our program as CA-1s (PGY-2s). One of the EM-trained residents completed residency at my institution and was taken outside the match. There shouldn't be a funding issue as it would take you 6 years to complete peds (3) + anesthesia (3, you won't have to re-do intern year).

Reactions: 1 user
Peds—>anesthesia is a well trodden path. Many people have done that. Peds residency most definitely counts as your clinical base year. Your background will count as an advantage at many programs.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yea will definitely count as an intern year. And if you time it right can go directly into an advanced or R position. It’s not a bad idea considering almost all peds fellowships are three years anyway. There are three pediatric anesthesiologists here that were pediatricians first and are fantastic. Just remember that these days will still need the extra year of peds anesthesia if that’s the route you want to ultimately take.

Agree with above - your pediatrics residency absolutely will count as a CBY. I'm a pediatric anesthesiologist who went the 4 years of regular anesthesiology residency + 1 year pediatric anesthesia fellowship route. I like it. But the job market for pediatric anesthesiologists is over-saturated, which can make job options challenging (if you want to have a half or more peds practice).

Also, anesthesia can be very stressful at times. As a med student I considered pediatrics vs peds anesthesia. At the time I thought hanging a shingle and doing well-child visits all day would be unbearably boring. But looking back - maybe a bit of boredom isn't all bad, especially with that long term longitudinal care you'd do. It would be cool to see the kids grow up and for most of them to be generally healthy... and also to see the kids with medical issues still thrive with their families. Vs providing anesthesia to sick kids with beyond stressed out parents. Just something for OP to consider...

One last thought - pediatricians are massively underpaid.

It’s up to the program to count or not to count your CBY year. But if it’s something that you really want to do, then begged can’t be choosers right?

You may need something to strengthen your application. Just the fact of able to complete a residency doesn’t absolve your prior deficiencies. Maybe board certified may count for something?

It sound harsh, just want to make sure you don’t think it’s all rainbow and roses, especially, you’ve applied before.

Moreover, also consider the opportunity cost. It’s at least 3, if not more, years of pediatric attending salaries. When you’re young, time don’t matter, until it does.

Make connections, call your old school, get to know the group within your training hospital. Consider attend any society meetings. Consider joining some small programs and/or new programs. No magic bullets there.

Good luck.

I did peds and then anesthesia. 10/10, would recommend. PM me with questions.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users