second residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mltr2k

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a third year family medicine resident planning to do a second residency.I knew that I was interested in pulmonology and critical care right at the end of my first year of fm residency.Anyway I wanted to finish my family medicine before starting IM and then pursue a pulmonology fellowship.I'm an international medical graduate but I'm in the process of getting green card.
My step 2 scores are not great so I'm not sure if I could get a spot in Im with just my experience.Do normally PDS consider for a 2nd year IM spot with 3 years of fm residency?I'm also worried about funding for a second residency.I have heard people say that I'll not get a salary but I still see people doing second residencies.........Please advice.thanks

Members don't see this ad.

You can get credit for 1 year of IM training for completing your entire FM residency. Whether a PD will give you such credit depends on many things -- how prominent your FM program is, whether there is an IM program located there also, etc.

There are two ways to proceed -- either apply for PGY-1 again via the match (or try to sign outside the match), or apply for a PGY-2. Luckily, the timeline for both of these is similar -- the match LOR deadline is end Feb, and many programs know about open PGY-2 spots in that timeframe. This allows you to interview for PGY-1 and PGY-2 spots at the same time.

Of course, this involves some flexibility from your current program, as interviewing can consume a large amount of time.

As for funding, this is a common question and there are many threads on this. The amount of funding for a second residency is less than that for a first, but nowhere near zero. All fellowships are paid at this "second residency" rate. You will get a salary. A program that is interested in you will find a way to fund you, but given an equal choice between a fully funded candidate and yourself, you might lose out. Nothing you can do about that.

Thanks alot.That was really helpful