Second Semester Senior - Taking all classes Pass/Fail?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KatsuCurry

MS3
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

So like most other schools, my undergrad is allowing us to designate any course pass/ fail. My question kinda differs from the other numerous posts because I'm thinking of taking all of my classes this semester as pass/fail. I've already finished my premed prereqs, and all my classes this semester are electives in my non-science major.

My home environment isnt the most conducive to studying, and to be honest, as a second semester senior, I'm pretty devastated on losing out on what had been the most fun semester of college so far. I know saying that sounds very entitled with a worldwide pandemic going on, but my point is that I'm not really in the best head space and environment to be studying hard for my classes.

So here's the question, I dont want to take advantage of the P/F changes just to hide the classes where I might not get an A. As such, would it be advisable to just take all of my classes P/F? I feel as though it would be strange to designate some but not all of my classes pass/fail this semester, as it would seem very obvious that one is hiding bad grades. I feel as though it would be better to just designate all of my classes pass/fail, and essentially never have taken this semester, as I've already finished all my prereqs. Would that be even stranger? Would med schools be understanding of the situation as long as I explain myself?

Members don't see this ad.

A lot of those answers will be gotten by looking at the rest of your application. If you are rolling in with a 4.0 and a 517, nobody cares if you are taking underwater basket weaving classes P/F during senioritis. If you are a low GPA student, it could be scrutinized for not trying to improve your GPA.

Since most are in between, it is up to you to determine where on the spectrum you fall.

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors