Second Thoughts About HPSP, bound for next cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

GotAQuestion25

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I applied to medical school last (2016-2017) cycle, and it looks like I won't be getting in (small chance I get in last minute to one school). However, I was accepted to and signed all of the paperwork for the Air Force HPSP, but I am beginning to have second thoughts. Whereas I was very gung-ho about a future of military medicine, my interest is dwindling (in the military, not medicine), and I am constantly worrying about having full autonomy over my ability to sub-specialize in the future, if I should so choose.

Anyways, I am under the impression that I would have to re-apply for the HPSP this coming cycle, which would mean I have the option to opt out of the HPSP. Does anybody have any experience with this? Am I bound by the contract for any number of future cycles, or would reapplying (which I believe I would have to do) give me more time to weigh my options? Lastly, in the event that I do get accepted last minute, is there any way out of the contract? I know there are a finite number of scholarships, and as of April, I lost my ability to a guaranteed scholarship, so in the event I do not receive one, I believe I would have to re-apply anyways?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!