Second Thoughts About HPSP, bound for next cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GotAQuestion25

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied to medical school last (2016-2017) cycle, and it looks like I won't be getting in (small chance I get in last minute to one school). However, I was accepted to and signed all of the paperwork for the Air Force HPSP, but I am beginning to have second thoughts. Whereas I was very gung-ho about a future of military medicine, my interest is dwindling (in the military, not medicine), and I am constantly worrying about having full autonomy over my ability to sub-specialize in the future, if I should so choose.

Anyways, I am under the impression that I would have to re-apply for the HPSP this coming cycle, which would mean I have the option to opt out of the HPSP. Does anybody have any experience with this? Am I bound by the contract for any number of future cycles, or would reapplying (which I believe I would have to do) give me more time to weigh my options? Lastly, in the event that I do get accepted last minute, is there any way out of the contract? I know there are a finite number of scholarships, and as of April, I lost my ability to a guaranteed scholarship, so in the event I do not receive one, I believe I would have to re-apply anyways?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.