Second week second thoughts - normal or problematic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PistolPete3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am just about to finish my second week of M1 and am already having serious second thoughts. This is not the best place for a such a serious question, but I thought I might solicit some opinions from other students.

I came from a rewarding and dynamic career path in engineering, but always felt the desire to go to medical school (my original career plan). I have spent significant time around physicians (shadowing and working in hospitals), and I find the career deeply compelling/rewarding despite the many required sacrifices.

Thus far though we have not been presented with a single problem to solve - literally the entire curriculum has been content based memorization. We have also had six quizzes and two exams for 10 days worth of coursework. I feel decently prepared academically, but I am deeply unmotivated. Every day of class is a slog whereby I lose all interest in the material and spend my evenings convincing myself that it will be worth the sacrifice.

Are these thoughts normal for a second week student? I am really not worried about working hard or putting in long hours. I am worried about the cost (financially, personally, and in opportunity) focused on rote memorization with a complete lack of professional respect (e.g. constant quizzing, poorly put together classes).

I have already talked with some of the school officials and their advice was to wait it out for a year and see where I am. This approach seems like a great way to take out a $50,000 loan and lose a year of professional development.

Is this a common attitude? Do I need to suck it up and stop my negative focus? Or should I strongly consider leaving this career path before I am deeply in debt?

Members don't see this ad.

Don't give up engineering for this ****pile of a career lol

I don't know much about engineering curriculum, but I always hear it's much more problem solving based, and engineer majors always have to adjust to the much more memorization based biomedical sciences. If it's really just the way you obtain the info you don't like, then I don't think you should change your mind already. The very beginning feels more overwhelming than it really is.

Also, learning the info is often just memorize all this, but the exams are not just first order regurgitation. Have you picked up a Pre Test question book and answered some? That's what the tests will more closely resemble, and it's much more engaging than words on a PP.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone. I am just about to finish my second week of M1 and am already having serious second thoughts. This is not the best place for a such a serious question, but I thought I might solicit some opinions from other students.

I came from a rewarding and dynamic career path in engineering, but always felt the desire to go to medical school (my original career plan). I have spent significant time around physicians (shadowing and working in hospitals), and I find the career deeply compelling/rewarding despite the many required sacrifices.

Thus far though we have not been presented with a single problem to solve - literally the entire curriculum has been content based memorization. We have also had six quizzes and two exams for 10 days worth of coursework. I feel decently prepared academically, but I am deeply unmotivated. Every day of class is a slog whereby I lose all interest in the material and spend my evenings convincing myself that it will be worth the sacrifice.

Are these thoughts normal for a second week student? I am really not worried about working hard or putting in long hours. I am worried about the cost (financially, personally, and in opportunity) focused on rote memorization with a complete lack of professional respect (e.g. constant quizzing, poorly put together classes).

I have already talked with some of the school officials and their advice was to wait it out for a year and see where I am. This approach seems like a great way to take out a $50,000 loan and lose a year of professional development.

Is this a common attitude? Do I need to suck it up and stop my negative focus? Or should I strongly consider leaving this career path before I am deeply in debt?

MS1 is a bad way to judge actual clinical practice. It sounds like you would have benefited from a more integrated curriculum. There's tons of memorization at my school, but they also peppered clinical correlations and cases to wet our appetites for what was to come. I'm definitely enjoying MS2 more even though it's even more memorization, but at least we get to apply it and practice our knowledge in clinical cases.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

I don't like preclinical years either. Remember we are not in this **** we can remain as med students forever. Tests suck. Classes suck. But there will be opportunities to use the problem-based approach to treat patients after our training. Certain specialities use this aspect of medicine more than others. Think neurology, maybe?

Yeah I wouldn't judge med school by the first few weeks of M1. You're still in the "lets review all of undergrad for all the arts majors like Operaman" period. Unfortunately, a lot of M1/M2 is going to be memorization and learning/understanding and not a lot of problem solving and the few attempts at actual problem solving will likely be ham-handedly executed and robbed of all things interesting or exciting.

M1 and M2 are basically where you learn the language of medicine; problem-solving and application will come in the 3rd and 4th years. Your board exams will have more 2nd/3rd/4th order questions and require more of the problem-solving skillset you've developed before med school. Class exams are hit or miss on this front. Writing good questions is hard and many faculty are not adequately trained to do it.

You may find it interesting to get involved with some research projects at this point. A lot of that is problem solving and there's a large mathematical component as well and with your background you could be a valuable addition to a team.

Reactions: 1 users
Your board exams will have more 2nd/3rd/4th order questions and require more of the problem-solving skillset you've developed before med school. Class exams are hit or miss on this front. Writing good questions is hard and many faculty are not adequately trained to do it.
Thank you. I swear if I hear Step 1 is all memorization and recall one more time...

Lots of people say that. They're called first-years and second-years.
And some residents and attendings here as well - however, I think they minimize it now, long after they took the exam. Easy to say it's "just" memorization after you're thru with it. Or maybe it was easier when they took it (at least attendings) - it's gone thru a lot of changes.

I'm in my second week of M2 and everything I've learned so far is way more interesting than most stuff from last year. Pyuria is pus in the urine! How nasty is that?!

Reactions: 3 users
And some residents and attendings here as well - however, I think they minimize it now, long after they took the exam. Easy to say it's "just" memorization after you're thru with it. Or maybe it was easier when they took it (at least attendings) - it's gone thru a lot of changes.

Yeah the test has definitely evolved and they only need to read any of the publications put out by the NBME in the last 10-15 years to realize that.

That said, there are certainly some little factoids you just have to memorize because they make great boards fodder. All those inborn errors of metabolism, etc. Diseases with an incidence of 1 in 1 million in the general population but 1 in 300 on board exams. Maybe this is what they are thinking of when they say it's all about memorization.

Yeah the test has definitely evolved and they only need to read any of the publications put out by the NBME in the last 10-15 years to realize that.

That said, there are certainly some little factoids you just have to memorize because they make great boards fodder. All those inborn errors of metabolism, etc. Diseases with an incidence of 1 in 1 million in the general population but 1 in 300 on board exams. Maybe this is what they are thinking of when they say it's all about memorization.
I think the only thing that hasn't evolved is how basic science is tested by tenured PhD professors in the first 2 years. PhDs still write the same type of rote memorization "can you recall what line from my powerpoint slide this is from" to answer the question. I think that's what OP is getting en masse and is likely sick and tired of, esp. as someone who did engineering. I guess that's why schools are resorting to using preclinical shelf exams since faculty are reluctant to rewrite their questions in USMLE style and so students have at least some clue as to how questions are asked.

If Step 1 was still memorization - BRS Pathology would be enough - it's a joke now, although it may have been good previously and might even work for the Pathology shelf.

I just hate certain people on this forum that say Step 1 is just memorization bc it makes it seem like that's all that's needed to do well on Step 1. Maybe for the gimme questions that everyone gets, but not the 2nd/3rd order questions which may need some rote memorization along the way, but it won't give you the answer directly. They're the same ones who say you can get a 230 alone with memorizing First Aid.

I think the only thing that hasn't evolved is how basic science is tested by tenured PhD professors in the first 2 years. PhDs still write the same type of rote memorization "can you recall what line from my powerpoint slide this is from" to answer the question. I think that's what OP is getting en masse and is likely sick and tired of, esp. as someone who did engineering. I guess that's why schools are resorting to using preclinical shelf exams since faculty are reluctant to rewrite their questions in USMLE style and so students have at least some clue as to how questions are asked.

If Step 1 was still memorization - BRS Pathology would be enough - it's a joke now, although it may have been good previously and might even work for the Pathology shelf.

I just hate certain people on this forum that say Step 1 is just memorization bc it makes it seem like that's all that's needed to do well on Step 1. Maybe for the gimme questions that everyone gets, but not the 2nd/3rd order questions which may need some rote memorization along the way, but it won't give you the answer directly. They're the same ones who say you can get a 230 alone with memorizing First Aid.

Maybe the best way to deal with those people would be to have them download the most recent NBME Step 1 forms and see just how many direct recall questions they see!

Members don't see this ad :)
Of course the school is going to tell you to stick it out for a year, don't give their recommendation any credence. It's something you have to decide for yourself. I'm only three weeks into MS1 and I share your sentiment, that it's an annoying ****ing slog.

I'm often amazed at how amazed medical students are when they realize that there's a ****-ton of information they have to memorize/learn before they can start solving problems that utilize this information.

It's like expecting to be able to write a book before learning the alphabet.

Reactions: 10 users
I'm often amazed at how amazed medical students are when they realize that there's a ****-ton of information they have to memorize/learn before they can start solving problems that utilize this information.

I never expected the information to be conveyed in such a convoluted and inefficient manner.

they are normal pete, you'll probably have those thoughts throughout the whole course. Like every 3 months or so. Really depends your work load.

first two years are like:
"hey here it is a English dictionary, study it, we will teach how to write a book later on"

Play the game or get played. No one wants to be a medical student, jump through the hoops or get out before it's too late.

A lot of people feel that way. I know I did. Best to stick it out, imo.

I had plenty of doubts through yen first two and a half years or so, peaking during step 1 and the first half of third year. Once I found a field that interested me, though, that feeling dissolved almost entirely. Doesn't necessarily take the occasional suck away, but the long-term prognosis is much better.

I say stick it out as you're probably just feeling stressed and disillusioned with what you expected medical school to be vs. what medical school actually is. Also remember that medical training does not necessarily equate to medical practice - or so I've been told by many, many attendings. Even the now-residents that I knew in medical school enjoy residency much more than med school despite the business and continued stress.

This exactly. If you think you're going to be solving problems in your 2nd week of MS1, you're going to have a bad time. You don't even know how to do a history and physical yet, let alone have the knowledge you need to interpret your findings. MS1 is essentially "going through the motions." Memorize and learn what you need to memorize and learn. You don't really start putting it all together until 2nd year, and the real life problem solving doesn't start until 3rd.

Although I will say that I wish we had a better transition from pre-clinical to clinical. Went straight from "going through the motions" of a full H&P and having time to research and formulate an assessment and plan, to all of a sudden doing a focused H&P in 15 minutes and coming up with a differential and treatment plan on the spot. Things are done waaaaaaaaaay differently in the real world than on paper in the safety bubble of pre-clincial, which is not surprising, but it was something I was not particularly ready for.

To be honest, I hated my basic science year. I studied a field outside of science as an undergraduate, and found the memorization in medical school a slog. The clinical years were a different story- I found I really enjoyed patient care and the messy intriguing problems that come with it. I come from a family of engineers, so I understand the problem solving vs. memorization dichotomy. I'd say hang in there for the clinical years, because they can be both intellectually stimulating and exciting.

You really can't judge in the first 2 weeks.... Or 2 years for that matter. Med school is nothing like actually being a doctor until you are at least a third year, and even then it's still not the same. The 2 years of rote memorization as you put it is just what it is... There's an insane amount of info to learn. Think about the end game as motivation. Watch boston med or ny med or trauma life in the ER to see some live action that may motivate you. If the only thing you don't like so far is the pure memorization I'd say stick it out for now

You really can't judge in the first 2 weeks.... Or 2 years for that matter. Med school is nothing like actually being a doctor until you are at least a third year, and even then it's still not the same. The 2 years of rote memorization as you put it is just what it is... There's an insane amount of info to learn. Think about the end game as motivation. Watch boston med or ny med or trauma life in the ER to see some live action that may motivate you. If the only thing you don't like so far is the pure memorization I'd say stick it out for now

A month into first year, and have to agree that all the memorizing blows. I didn't go into medicine because I was fascinated by the muscles of the anterior thigh, and learning what part of which bone they attach to, which nerve innervates them, which artery supplies them etc etc (rinse and repeat for every muscle in the Back and Limbs).

It's actually been stuff outside the curriculum that's keeping me going. My school has great advocacy and volunteer programs that mirror exactly what I want to do with my career. So even if I hate the memorization (which I do, believe me), I still have a reminder of why the hell I'm doing all this. It means I have less time to study, but it also keeps me motivated (and sane).

I am constantly amazed by the number of people who are surprised they have to memorize in med school. What did you think was going to happen?
I don't think it's surprising to people that one has to memorize for medical school. Anyone who has read about med school knows this. It's the sheer volume of it all esp. as you're taking many basic science subjects simultaneously and depending on the school, a short time in which to swallow, digest, and process it, although this can vary by block. People don't expect to be Rainman, esp. when a lot of information is a click away with an iPhone. The conventional educational curriculum worked when knowledge wasn't as accessible to patients. Medical education really hasn't changed much from Flexner's model in the 1900s.

For all that's good about med school, there are a lot of inefficiences in undergraduate medical education and there are a lot of holes and deficiencies, esp. now in an era in which the MS-3 clerkship year has been watered down.

Is it like the MCAT 3rd/4th order questions?

I think there are stuff they want you to memorize that are inutile.

These are the kind of questions my school is using now even in biochem. I kind of like these questions instead of asking me what's the name of this enzyme in this pathway... I did ok in BS/PS for the MCAT... I am glad step1 has no VR:)
As a whole, USMLE Step 1 has gotten away from 1-step rote memorization questions, and more 2-step, or 3-step questions dressed in clinical vignettes. Unfortunately, many medical schools' professors haven't caught up with this fact. Be lucky that yours does.

Last edited:
Yeah med school is a lot less scientific than I thought it would be, especially anatomy, memorizing the position of stuff relative to the position of other stuff is not very intellectually stimulating. Honestly, there are some brilliant kids in our class MIT graduates, people who have worked for NASA, kids that won national academic contest - I feel like their brains would be better used in scientific research and they probably would be there if research paid better.

And as far as the standardized test go, yes they are getting harder I took the mMCAT in 2011 and 2013, the bio section went from " what is the purpose of the plasma membrane? To passages that had 3-4 accompanying graphs, and charts that you had to decipher instantly.

Last edited:
Not too long, and you'll be learning about fecaluria too!!!
I'm still getting over armadillos being able to give me leprosy. I'm not sure I can handle that right now.

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah med school is a lot less scientific than I thought it would be, especially anatomy, memorizing the position of stuff relative to the position of other stuff is not very intellectually stimulating. Honestly, there are some brilliant kids in our class MIT graduates, people who have worked for NASA, kids that won national academic contest - I feel like their brains would be better used in scientific research and they probably would be there if research paid better.

Medicine is safe, that's why a lot of us are here.

It's definitely not intellectually stimulating though.

suck it up, you need to learn before you diagnose and treat. You will have to learn a lot before you can think on your own. Thats what medicine teaches you to think. You can't think if you don't have knowledge lol.

how is not intellectually stimulating? , memorizing stuff is not intellectually stimulating agreed but clinical practice can be very intellectually stimulating. No first year doctor comes out and is like oh God this is so boring its too easy. Give me a break.

I literally disagree with both these statements lol.. A desk job is safe no one is going to die, medicine is not as safe, you can screw up in so many ways lol.

But if you mean job security then i agree with you.

These are the kind of questions my school is using now even in biochem. I kind of like these questions instead of asking me what's the name of this enzyme in this pathway... I did ok in BS/PS for the MCAT... I am glad step1 has no VR:)

I like that my school uses clinical vignettes in almost all of its exam questions but, since we're at such a low level as MS1's, they can be a bit amusing to read when they're just trying to test a simple concept.

"Patient has a BP of X/Y and pulse of Z. The patient has [a bunch of symptoms], a history of [diseases that we may or may not have heard about], has these abnormalities in the lab tests... Also, what does ADH do?"

A month into first year, and have to agree that all the memorizing blows. I didn't go into medicine because I was fascinated by the muscles of the anterior thigh, and learning what part of which bone they attach to, which nerve innervates them, which artery supplies them etc etc (rinse and repeat for every muscle in the Back and Limbs).

It's actually been stuff outside the curriculum that's keeping me going. My school has great advocacy and volunteer programs that mirror exactly what I want to do with my career. So even if I hate the memorization (which I do, believe me), I still have a reminder of why the hell I'm doing all this. It means I have less time to study, but it also keeps me motivated (and sane).

Agreed, the grind is getting old really fast. Still though, I feel like a lot of the material is pretty interesting and it's cool that we're slowly piecing together the puzzle of how the body (generally) works as we progress through our education. The thing that makes it suck for me is the pace, there's just so much stuff being handed out that there's no time to just stop and appreciate the science. I just have to get it in my head as fast as possible and move on to the next thing. It really takes away from the coolness of what we're learning, in my opinion.

Whatever though, it's a means to an end.

Reactions: 2 users
I like that my school uses clinical vignettes in almost all of its exam questions but, since we're at such a low level as MS1's, they can be a bit amusing to read when they're just trying to test a simple concept.

"Patient has a BP of X/Y and pulse of Z. The patient has [a bunch of symptoms], a history of [diseases that we may or may not have heard about], has these abnormalities in the lab tests... Also, what does ADH do?"

I wish our exam questions were that easy.

I hate when our professors tell us to "focus on the big picture", then they ask us about straight tubules of the testis on an exam.

My problem isn't with memorization per se, but rather what it is we're expected to memorize. Some schools have great lecturers who makes clear exactly what's expected of students and try to teach towards what is relevant, especially in regards to step 1.

Other schools (ahem, mine included), have PhDs who drone on and on about the obscure disease/condition/collagen fiber that they've been researching on for the past 20 years with little to no relations to what we're learning. Many said PhD lecturers also seems unaware of why we're even there in medical school (as in, med school is not premed part deux). It's just frustrating that just like in undergrad (MCAT), many of the professors in medical school don't really care that we have certain markers to hit (Step1), and just teach towards whatever it is that strikes their fancy, rather than what we need to learn.

My problem isn't with memorization per se, but rather what it is we're expected to memorize. Some schools have great lecturers who makes clear exactly what's expected of students and try to teach towards what is relevant, especially in regards to step 1.

Other schools (ahem, mine included), have PhDs who drone on and on about the obscure disease/condition/collagen fiber that they've been researching on for the past 20 years with little to no relations to what we're learning. Many said PhD lecturers also seems unaware of why we're even there in medical school (as in, med school is not premed part deux). It's just frustrating that just like in undergrad (MCAT), many of the professors in medical school don't really care that we have certain markers to hit (Step1), and just teach towards whatever it is that strikes their fancy, rather than what we need to learn.
Why would they? Their employment is not at all dependent on how well you do on the boards. Their employment is mainly predicated on research and bringing in grants to the institution. To be fair, in undergrad the professors job is not to prepare you for the MCAT as there aren't just premeds taking classes.

http://thehealthcareblog.com/blog/2014/04/29/should-medical-schools-teach-to-the-boards/

http://thehealthcareblog.com/blog/2013/07/05/the-real-problem-with-board-exams-and-how-to-solve-it/

Many medical schools take great pride in NOT "teaching to the test".

I kind of do better in these type of questions than the 'recall' questions... A bunch of verbiage they put in these questions are what one can call 'background noise'... Usually one key word or sentence is the key to get to the right answer...

This career is definitely a marathon. While there are some aspects that are superfluous, you do need to go through the motions to get to the point where youre making clinical decisions based on a solid foundation + new research.

Youre going to have to deal with poor lecturers, exams and material that dont seem to mean anything (a lot doesnt), different personalities, scutwork, pouring money into steps/residency application, being an intern that still gets scutwork, etc. In retrospect (im still an intern), I would say most need to go through it all to be a well rounded doc who works with other docs.

I wanted to quit early on (first two years are brutal on the mind) but im glad I stuck through. 3rd was tough but you get to interact in the clinical setting, 4th was a vacation after audition rotations. Intern year has been good so far too.