Second-year pediatric fellowships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted21609

Anyone know of available second-year pediatric fellowships still available? Never filled or someone withdrew maybe?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there really a separate peds pain fellowship? Many of our peds attendings cover pain and do not have additional training beyond their 1 year peds fellowship. Cardiac can range from 6-12 months, but it seems like the shift is moving towards 12 months. There's no such thing as a "peds neuro" fellowship, especially one that would last a year!

Many of the bigger peds fellowship programs now offer a second year fellowship. Mostly in regional, pain and cardiac. Others include simulation and education
I know for sure- Seattle, Boston, CHOP and chicago.
Some of the peds programs want fellows to do the second year before being hired.

Some of the peds programs want fellows to do the second year before being hired.
Sadly this seems to be a growing trend and mirrors a lot of the other wishy-washy fellowships being promoted on the adult side. Academic centers are using these to get cheap labor for what used to be on the job training. Probably a sign that academic hospitals are starting to realize they offer a pretty good deal compared to the current job market and demand is starting to outpace supply.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't think I'd be a capable pediatric chronic pain physician without another year of training. Same with cardiac--for complex congenital cardiac.

So nobody knows of any open spots for second-year peds fellowships?

I would just cold call (or email) academic peds departments - if you're a fellowship trained anesthesiologist willing to work for fellow pay I'm sure many places will work with you.