secondaries 2003

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

calbears84

professional baller
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
aite...its been a week since some med schools got our applications...please post which schools you got secondaries for...and if possible...please post what the secondary questions are. thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I got the Cornell secondary. Did anyone else get it?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi!

Do you think you guys could post the secondary essay questions for those of us with our application on hold because of the August MCAT? Thanks!!!

UCLA Paratrooper

Let's see, so far I've only gotten the Hopkins and Cornell secondaries - I'm doing this off the top of my head so if anyone else notices a mistake or omission make sure to post.

Hopkins

1)Describe an accomplishment of which you are particularly proud / experience that has a lot of meeting for you.
2)Are you interested in any particular area of medicine? If so, why?

I think those are the only two.

Cornell

1)If you are not in school for the upcoming year, what will you be doing?
2)Why Cornell?

Easy enough, right? The Cornell secondary is really small - I sent mine off already.

Hey what's up; when you finished your Cornell appy; did you type or hand write? Also, what would be the best way to print everything so it fits (they don't give you much space for all the info they want for your classes). thanks
yogurt

Any other online secondaries people have links to?

did rochester notify you about the secondary?

cornell's is a pdf file and you just type it into the form itself. and then when you're done you print it out. What sucks is that they don't tell you the character limit so you just have to type until you hear a 'bling' which means you can't type anymore.

well i just wrote a paragraph in word and copied and pasted it in there and printed it out.

for secondaries.. check many of your school's homepage-- some of them have em posted online now.
like hopkins, cornell, rush, st.louis, yale, einstein, and tulane.

man that rush secondary is a killer though. 12-14 essay questions! and the killer is that they don't give a character limit, so all they give is a vague, "use additional sheets if necessary" so who knows how much to write.

I'm also a little confused about Rochester - did anyone receive notification from them about the online secondary or are they actually sending out paper copies? The online app mentions something about a postcard, which I guess they would send to us. But the app is so simple; I don't want to wait if I don't have to. Anyone know what to do?

UMDNJ (Newark) - for out of staters only:

'Please describe the specific reasons and/or unique resons you have applied to NJMS'

Members don't see this ad :)
If you applied to the University of Cincinnati, its secondary application is up on its website.

UC Secondary

hi pocwana,

r u indian? its itneresting that u go ucla.

Originally posted by dr kevin40
hi pocwana,

r u indian? its itneresting that u go ucla.

no, not indian. about as white as could be.
and why interesting that i go to ucla? (well, went. i finally graduated, woo-hoo)

cuz i go to school very close to ur school and we have rivalry going on

how come u don't have any pics on ur website

Originally posted by dr kevin40
cuz i go to school very close to ur school and we have rivalry going on

how come u don't have any pics on ur website

i sent you a PM

Hello everyone,

I just happened to have run into this site while searching for interview feedback sites. Maybe we can add these responses to those in the SDN interview feedback site. The site is:

http://www.emory.edu/CAREER/Premed/Interviews.html

Enjoy,

confewshz

i like mayo's "secondary" e-mail:

Mayo Medical School (Request for fee)
A $60 fee is required to start the processing of your application.

1. Please make your check payable to "Mayo Medical School."

they don't kid around.

got dartmouth yesterday -

1. please indicate what you are doing during the 2002-2003 academic year. if in school, list courses. if working, let us know something about the nature of your job.

2. please share with us something about yourself that is not addressed elsewhere in your application and which could be helpful to the admissions committee as we review your file.

Did anyone else get UMich's secondary?

umdnj's secondary has arrived by mail. The only question is for non NJ residents, basically "why are you applying to UMDNJ?"

i got umich's - its pretty sweet. they win for having their **** together.
-jot

Has anyone received Pitt's or Stanford's or know when about they will be sending them?

hey guys,

yeah, i got dartmouth, u mich, cornell. dartmouth was paper, u mich and cornell were electronic.

i got a question for the computer people. both of the e-mails from cornell and umich came to me with a "5.7.0 invalid Message-ID header" error but i still got the msg. The headers said "returned mail: service unavailable" and "mail system error-returned mail." any one else having this problem? maybe i'll have to call my sys admin.

my guess is it might have something to do with mass mailings. you think it'll be a bigger problem later?

thanks...

simp.

Question: Some schools have their secondaries available online now but haven't e-mailed anyone (yet?) For example, I think JHU has theirs up. Are we meant to wait until we get an invitation to fill them out... or do they expect us to just do it without a prompt? Anybody know how that works?

Originally posted by kathleeya

2. please share with us something about yourself that is not addressed elsewhere in your application and which could be helpful to the admissions committee as we review your file. [/B]

So, what do you guys think about these types of questions? St. Louis has the same deal where it asks you this:

If you have not already written this on the AMCAS application, please describe briefly the reasons why you want to enter medical school. You may also make any other statement you
wish to the Admissions Committee.

When I see a question like this, I feel the need to avoid repeating myself and listing out the top ten reasons to "why I want to be a doctor"...Instead I'm thinking more along the lines of writing something about ME, not my credentials. What do ya think?

thats what my gut reaction would be - just something about myself - non science/med related interests, background or something relatively interesting - there is enough med related stuff to choke a dozen donkeys in the file as it is.
-jot

Pocwana, (or anyone)
Should I get a good printer to go with the good paper? I have an HP DeskJet. Do you think that's sufficient? Med Schools don't require laser printer quality secondaries, do they? :confused:

Originally posted by JZZZZZZZs
Pocwana, (or anyone)
Should I get a good printer to go with the good paper? I have an HP DeskJet. Do you think that's sufficient? Med Schools don't require laser printer quality secondaries, do they? :confused:

right now, my printer of 4+ years is printing kind of crappy, so i think i'm gonna go on over to my mom's house. now i'm glad that i convinced her to buy a new printer just a couple of months ago. but, if my printer's printing quality changes to not blurry after i change the ink, i'm just gonna stick with this one. i think the idea is just to not print out something that would make the adcoms either squint/strain to read or say, oh my god, why is there a streak of ink here, or something extreme like that. but, if you have the money, by all means go out and by the new printer. that $810 amcas just mugged me for is making it pretty tight around here. just don't forget to add it to your frightening calculations of how much you've spent just trying to get into medical school (and, yes, there is another thread about that)