Secondaries ask about gap-year plans?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Irish Football

MCAT Rudy Ruettiger
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What percent of schools would you say ask in some form or another for an applicant's plans for the upcoming year?

I have a good job lined up for my gap-year and while I understand that I can send update letters, I would like to include information if possible on my secondaries. I also understand that I cannot write that I have done something if I have not started it yet, but I looked at one school's sample supplementary application and I see that they ask specifically about plans for the upcoming year. Is this common?

Members don't see this ad.

What percent of schools would you say ask in some form or another for an applicant's plans for the upcoming year?

I have a good job lined up for my gap-year and while I understand that I can send update letters, I would like to include information if possible on my secondaries. I also understand that I cannot write that I have done something if I have not started it yet, but I looked at one school's sample supplementary application and I see that they ask specifically about plans for the upcoming year. Is this common?

It's common. Maybe 70% of schools ask for this? My suggestion is that you peruse the allopathic 2011-2012 school specific threads to get a better idea of what schools you're applying to require this kind of information. The first page of each thread contains the secondary questions the school asks.

If you have the job lined up and a school specifically asks about your gap year plans, then that's a great opportunity to tell them about the job. The thing you don't want to do is include the job on your AMCAS if you haven't started yet.

I didn't have too many secondaries that asked this question.