Secondaries for UC's....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Csv321

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied to many of the UC med schools but am taking the August MCAT. People have started receiving secondaries already for some of the schools. Do they wait until they receive your August scores before sending out secondaries?

Members don't see this ad.

Csv321 said:
I applied to many of the UC med schools but am taking the August MCAT. People have started receiving secondaries already for some of the schools. Do they wait until they receive your August scores before sending out secondaries?

Most likely. They all screen.

On a related note, I am worried because I have not yet received a UCSF secondary, anyone else in the same boat?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think most of us are in that boat. I believe only a few people have received a UCSF secondary.

Csv321 said:

If you indicated you are taking the August MCAT on your AMCAS, they won't even touch your application. You'll have to wait until the end of October or later to hear from any of them. Sorry.

The UCs do screen for secondaries, so it does take them awhile. I didn't get all of my UC secondaries until October. I'm going to UCSF this year and I didn't get my secondary until October, but interviews and acceptance to SF came on pretty fast.

After completing the secondaries, you should hear back in early October for interview invites. I actually had an unexpected acceptance from the University of Chicago before going on most of my UC interviews. Don't worry! The UCs are pretty generous to CA residents. Best of luck this admissions cycle.

PrincetonRocks said:
The UCs do screen for secondaries, so it does take them awhile. I didn't get all of my UC secondaries until October. I'm going to UCSF this year and I didn't get my secondary until October, but interviews and acceptance to SF came on pretty fast.

After completing the secondaries, you should hear back in early October for interview invites. I actually had an unexpected acceptance from the University of Chicago before going on most of my UC interviews. Don't worry! The UCs are pretty generous to CA residents. Best of luck this admissions cycle.

Wow...October? It's scary because UCSF only sends out a limited amount of secondaries according to their website.

UCSF is my first choice. I love the atmosphere of the bay area. If you don't mind me asking, what were your stats, undergrad, and EC's? How many schools did you apply to being a CA resident? Feel free to PM me if you don't want to post.

Thanks!

PrincetonRocks said:

Take what this poster says with a large grain of salt. She/he got some people really upset about the UCs last year and there were a lot of inconsistencies in his/her posts that were exposed in later threads. So keep in mind that he/she may very well be a troll or someone who posts stuff to get people nervous and upset and is likely not going to UCSF. Check the links below.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=93316&highlight=princetonrocks+troll

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=93370&highlight=princetonrocks+troll

PrincetonRocks said:

What are you doing here?!? Get lost! Haven't we taught you a lesson already?

TROLL ALERT

Csv321 said:
Wow...October? It's scary because UCSF only sends out a limited amount of secondaries according to their website.

UCSF is my first choice. I love the atmosphere of the bay area. If you don't mind me asking, what were your stats, undergrad, and EC's? How many schools did you apply to being a CA resident? Feel free to PM me if you don't want to post.

Thanks!

Well, when you get your secondary, it means you actually do have a chance at getting in! =)
Good luck to you.

LoneCoyote said:
Take what this poster says with a large grain of salt. She/he got some people really upset about the UCs last year and there were a lot of inconsistencies in his/her posts that were exposed in later threads. So keep in mind that he/she may very well be a troll or someone who posts stuff to get people nervous and upset and is likely not going to UCSF. Check the links below.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=93316&highlight=princetonrocks+troll

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=93370&highlight=princetonrocks+troll

I had no idea. I've only been on SDN since April and usually don't check other people's posts before replying in a thread. Thanks for the heads up!

Csv321 said:

i took aug. mcat last year (but turned in the applications later than that) and had UC secondaries pretty fast...

this year ( amcas in on 6/2), only
UCSD
UCI (very fast; 2-3 days after transmission)
UC Davis

so far... waiting on UCLA, UCSF... just got USC yesterday

Csv321 said:
I had no idea. I've only been on SDN since April and usually don't check other people's posts before replying in a thread. Thanks for the heads up!

No problem. I just remembered that poster because he/she became pretty notorious around here last year, especially regarding the UCs. And don't sweat getting secondaries later on, especially from the UCs. They are very slow compared to many other schools and accept people very late in the cycle. Last year I did not get a UCLA secondary until January, so it's never over with these schools. Good luck

last year when I applied, the UCSF secondary came later than the secondaries from other UCs (I got the ones from SD, davis, irvine and LA first). But yeah, I didn't end up getting into UCSF. Good luck to you though and don't worry too much!

Csv321 said:

even though they screen, my friend got her UCSF and UCI secondary last year before her august MCAT scores came back. She had a great gpa (3.95) and great ECs ... so maybe they do look at your file.

blueberry said:
last year when I applied, the UCSF secondary came later than the secondaries from other UCs (I got the ones from SD, davis, irvine and LA first). But yeah, I didn't end up getting into UCSF. Good luck to you though and don't worry too much!

I remember getting my UCLA and UCSF secondaries last (don't remember which order). It makes sense they're a little slower than the other UCs since they tend to get more applicants (since they do accept out-of-state applicants).