tyrsa

2+ Year Member
Mar 5, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Many secondaries ask applicants to describe one most rewarding experience. Its so hard to pick just ONE experience..

As a first step, I want to pick a specific category of what to write about for this question: research experience or clinical experience. I have had rewarding experiences in both areas.

Does anyone have any advice or comments regarding writing about a research vs. a clinical experience? What are you guys writing about for similar questions?

OP
tyrsa

tyrsa

2+ Year Member
Mar 5, 2015
Status
Medical Student
*I apologize for the mistake in the title.

ndafife

5+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2014
Status
Resident [Any Field]
For research focused schools - write about research
For clinical/primary care focused schools - write about clinical experiences

For ones that are a mix of both, pick the best one

gonnif

Only 389 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
Many secondaries ask applicants to describe one most rewarding experience. Its so hard to pick just ONE experience..

As a first step, I want to pick a specific category of what to write about for this question: research experience or clinical experience. I have had rewarding experiences in both areas.

Does anyone have any advice or comments regarding writing about a research vs. a clinical experience? What are you guys writing about for similar questions?
Honestly, I would do neither. I would much prefer to read something that really tells me about you as a person and not further information on your research or clinical experience, which already permeates your application.

starlite911

5+ Year Member
May 14, 2014
Status
Medical Student
For the one school that asked, I wrote about climbing a mountain :shrug:

feather421

2+ Year Member
Jan 12, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Honestly, I would do neither. I would much prefer to read something that really tells me about you as a person and not further information on your research or clinical experience, which already permeates your application.
A lot of schools also specify that this should be a non-academic achievement. I had a couple fun anecdotes that I shuffled around that I thought told them something about my character. I hated the "ONE MOST IMPORTANT" phrasing, and would mutter to myself "Well my most important/rewarding achievement will be getting done with this process and going to med school...mumble grumble grumble" but then would ultimately realize that my experiences that came to mind were meaningful in their own ways. Yes, running a 10 minute mile =/= saving a child dying of AIDS using your preternatural pre-med skills, but it can still be very important to you and you can write a good essay about what you got out of the experience.