Secondaries with no word limit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ohword3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the general consensus regarding length for secondaries that don't have a specified word limit. Although I am asking specifically for Duke's secondary, I'm sure there are other ones that do a similar thing. So, how long were your essays?

Members don't see this ad.

In general I would not exceed 500 words unless you are a creative writing mastermind. This is a highly subjective question though - as much as you don't want to hear it, the correct answer is: whatever you need to address the question sufficiently.

In general I would not exceed 500 words unless you are a creative writing mastermind. This is a highly subjective question though - as much as you don't want to hear it, the correct answer is: whatever you need to address the question sufficiently.

haha I knew that was coming. I know this is the right answer, just trying to get a feel for what other applicants have put.

Members don't see this ad :)
haha I knew that was coming. I know this is the right answer, just trying to get a feel for what other applicants have put.

Yeah, I also kept it around 500 words on the few unlimited prompts I had.

Naturally as soon as I turned one of them in I thought of another point I would have liked to make, but even that would have only taken it to about 700 words.

That's terrific because people will not have to leave out important details due to lack of space, but can still be penalized for using excessive details or for going on and on.