• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

Secondaries without personal examples?

gonnif

Rule One: Take a Breath
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
  1. Non-Student
Do all secondaries have personal examples in them? Are there ever any successful secondaries that don't incorporate personal stories, such as the more theoretical prompts?
Not really. The point of these secondaries is what things have happened in your life, whether in a broad or narrow context, and see what actions you have taken say about your personal characteristics / attributes and and your fitness for being a medical student or physician. Theoretical prompts, with the common exception of "where do you see yourself in 10 years?", dont show any evidence of these traits, just your say so. And if you say "well I dont really have any personal stories" that itself tells me you dont have sufficient introspection needed. BTW, the "where do you see yourself" question is often so poorly answered students many who now claim to want to be a primary care physician yet has no activities to show any evidence of that

About the Ads

Monkeymojo

May 23, 2020
  1. Pre-Medical
With the exception of a researched focused essay prompt. I really think that it is hard to not have a personal example that satisfies secondaries if you have made an effort to expose yourself and empathize with the community and the people around you. No one has a perfect life, you can come from privilege but still had to deal with the struggles of living up to unrealistic expectations, bullying, stress, anxiety, etc.

Rachapkis

2+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2018
  1. Non-Student
When answering a question such as “what do you consider the role of the physician?”, at the outset, you may want to state your views on the issue. For example, you might say something like “the principal role of a physician is to care for patients, and this involves several competencies, including medical expertise, communicator, collaborator . . .” Thereafter, you can leverage these competencies to show why you would be a good fit for the school and what you have done to prepare. For example, I learned the importance of X competency when I . . . I have been developing X competency l through . . .

Hzreio

2+ Year Member
Jan 15, 2019
  1. Medical Student
When answering a question such as “what do you consider the role of the physician?”, at the outset, you may want to state your views on the issue. For example, you might say something like “the principal role of a physician is to care for patients, and this involves several competencies, including medical expertise, communicator, collaborator . . .” Thereafter, you can leverage these competencies to show why you would be a good fit for the school and what you have done to prepare. For example, I learned the importance of X competency when I . . . I have been developing X competency l through . . .

So really the prompt is “what is the role of a physician and what would make you a good doctor”?

Monkeymojo

May 23, 2020
  1. Pre-Medical
So really the prompt is “what is the role of a physician and what would make you a good doctor”?

The role of a physician is dynamic. They are leaders in their community, they are scientists, they are patient advocates, they help shape policy, and of course, they are the guiding force behind the patient care team. If any of these roles speak to you go with that. As for what makes a good doctor, it will always come back to empathy/humanity. That should be your bedrock. Afterward, you can go into the technical and academic competencies that must accompany it in order to succeed.

Reactions: 1 user

LunaOri

May 16, 2020
Somewhere in New England
  1. Attending Physician
  2. Academic Administration
The way to answer that prompt is not just to say "what is the role of a physician" but to explain how you came to your conclusions. Use your personal examples to show that journey. Personal examples don't have to be about things you did; they can be about events you witnessed, stories you heard from family members, events that affected you indirectly (by having an impact on your family or community).

About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.