1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Secondaries

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by KatieJune, Jul 19, 2002.

1. KatieJune

KatieJune Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Do most private schools send secondaries to everyone or do some screen. I'm guessing highly competitive schools may screen, but what about middle and lower tier private schools?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Rezul

Rezul Portuguese Momma
    7+ Year Member

Most med schools like the cash associated with the secondaries, so they send them to all. In fact, I don't think I know of any school that refused to send anyone a secondary app.

4. Drako

Drako Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Some schools don't screen and some screen. If you read the schools' websites, then you will come accross examples.

Does it even matter? If you get a secondary, then you get one and would have to decide whether or not to fill it out and send it back with a check.

5. Jadeite

Jadeite Thought Puddle
    7+ Year Member

I think many do screen, but the standards might be so very low that almost everyone gets passed. Though it may not apply, I do know a friend who applied to dental schools with a 2.6 and a 17 on the DATs and she didn't get secondaries. I do know that allopathic medical schools send secondaries reguardless of whether you have the required classes (So re-read over everything before you send them a check!).

Jade~

6. vyc

vyc Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

i know for certain that stanford screens.
    there are other schools that screen as well.
    possibly Georgetown?

7. pocwana

pocwana MD/MBA candidate c/o 2008
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
  8. souljah1

souljah1 Attending
    10+ Year Member

all of the UC schools screen too. in fact ucsf screens quite heavily. out of roughly 4500 primaries they only sent out 1400-1500 secondaries. i think the other UC schools screen similarly.

personally, i think screening is more comforting b/c you know that if you receive a secondary you have already passed some sort of invisible irrational hurdle :eek: then, you sweat it out with the other thousand and change applicants for interview invites.

think about it this way..lets say school X doesn't screen, sends out 4500 secondaries and 500 interview invites. the primary costs $45 and the secondary costs $100. So, you spent 145 bucks for a shot at being one of the 500 out of 5000 to get an interview. school Y screens and only sends out 1500 secondaries (out of 5000 applicants). they interview 500. cost of primary and secondary is $145. So, for 145 bucks you are one of 1500 hoping for one of the 500 interview invites. What would you rather have after spending the $145? A 1 in 3 shot for an interview, or a 1 in 10?

9. USeF

USeF sunny L.A.
    10+ Year Member

I, for one, am thankful to both Stanford and UC-San Francisco for not sending me a secondary- thereby saving me $100+ to be spent on strippers and booze... hey wait a second, I dont drink and have never been to a strip club, how does that work?

10. relatively prime

relatively prime post happy member
    7+ Year Member

Unfortunately I think that info is wrong. I have the book too... and it's wrong for both Vanderbilt and Pritzker. I think this year schools are just going mad with the secondaries.

11. Jalby

Jalby I fight crime at day when Batman are sleeping.
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    Great website you have going there Poc. It's accurate to the best of my knowledge.

12. tBw

tBw totally deluded
    7+ Year Member

Maybe it was a sign it was time to start...?:laugh:

13. rainmkre

rainmkre Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

how to start with secondaries

14. vixen

vixen I like members
    10+ Year Member

how'd you guys find word processors or typewriters? I really don't want to hand write mine.

15. TX chickie

TX chickie Junior Member

do all secondary apps require additional fees? aiyaya!

16. Tweetie_bird

7+ Year Member

vixen,
    I have seen tons of businesses in my neighborhood that type stuff for you for a nominal fee. Perhaps that's feasable???

Also, do you work at an administrative office . . or does your dept have an administrative office? My dept has a whole bunch of type writers that the secretaries use and I am going to borrow one of them.

Tweetie