Secondaries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KatieJune

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do most private schools send secondaries to everyone or do some screen. I'm guessing highly competitive schools may screen, but what about middle and lower tier private schools?

Members don't see this ad.

Most med schools like the cash associated with the secondaries, so they send them to all. In fact, I don't think I know of any school that refused to send anyone a secondary app.

Some schools don't screen and some screen. If you read the schools' websites, then you will come accross examples.

Does it even matter? If you get a secondary, then you get one and would have to decide whether or not to fill it out and send it back with a check.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think many do screen, but the standards might be so very low that almost everyone gets passed. Though it may not apply, I do know a friend who applied to dental schools with a 2.6 and a 17 on the DATs and she didn't get secondaries. I do know that allopathic medical schools send secondaries reguardless of whether you have the required classes (So re-read over everything before you send them a check!).

Jade~

i know for certain that stanford screens.
there are other schools that screen as well.
possibly Georgetown?

all of the UC schools screen too. in fact ucsf screens quite heavily. out of roughly 4500 primaries they only sent out 1400-1500 secondaries. i think the other UC schools screen similarly.

personally, i think screening is more comforting b/c you know that if you receive a secondary you have already passed some sort of invisible irrational hurdle :eek: then, you sweat it out with the other thousand and change applicants for interview invites.

think about it this way..lets say school X doesn't screen, sends out 4500 secondaries and 500 interview invites. the primary costs $45 and the secondary costs $100. So, you spent 145 bucks for a shot at being one of the 500 out of 5000 to get an interview. school Y screens and only sends out 1500 secondaries (out of 5000 applicants). they interview 500. cost of primary and secondary is $145. So, for 145 bucks you are one of 1500 hoping for one of the 500 interview invites. What would you rather have after spending the $145? A 1 in 3 shot for an interview, or a 1 in 10?

I, for one, am thankful to both Stanford and UC-San Francisco for not sending me a secondary- thereby saving me $100+ to be spent on strippers and booze... hey wait a second, I dont drink and have never been to a strip club, how does that work?

Originally posted by pocwana
on my website, on the list of secondaries, if the school has a asterisk next to it, the school screens before sending out a secondary. i got the info from 2003-04 msar.

2003 Interview Feedback Files & List of Online Secondaries

Unfortunately I think that info is wrong. I have the book too... and it's wrong for both Vanderbilt and Pritzker. I think this year schools are just going mad with the secondaries.

Great website you have going there Poc. It's accurate to the best of my knowledge.

Originally posted by USeF
I, for one, am thankful to both Stanford and UC-San Francisco for not sending me a secondary- thereby saving me $100+ to be spent on strippers and booze... hey wait a second, I dont drink and have never been to a strip club, how does that work?

Maybe it was a sign it was time to start...?:laugh:

how to start with secondaries

how'd you guys find word processors or typewriters? I really don't want to hand write mine.

do all secondary apps require additional fees? aiyaya!

vixen,
I have seen tons of businesses in my neighborhood that type stuff for you for a nominal fee. Perhaps that's feasable???

Also, do you work at an administrative office . . or does your dept have an administrative office? My dept has a whole bunch of type writers that the secretaries use and I am going to borrow one of them.

Tweetie