secondaries?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Im confused on how secondaries work? which schools have them? are you only given the prompts after they look at your appilcation? do you only get an interview after the secondaries? how important are the secondaries?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know how many schools have them, but all 5 that I applied to had them. There will be detailed instructions for each one once you submit the application. A lot of the info on the secondaries is the same information that you submitted on the primary, and maybe an essay or two.

Im confused on how secondaries work? which schools have them? are you only given the prompts after they look at your appilcation? do you only get an interview after the secondaries? how important are the secondaries?

I feel it's just a ridiculous way for schools to squeeze more cash out of applicants. As I recall, the secondary apps. I had to submit almost universally asked for reiterations of information already furnished on OptomCAS — along with another payment, of course.

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel it's just a ridiculous way for schools to squeeze more cash out of applicants. As I recall, the secondary apps. I had to submit almost universally asked for reiterations of information already furnished on OptomCAS — along with another payment, of course.

:thumbup:

I was stupid enough to do 5 or 6 secondaries.

Every school will tell you what they want on their webpage. Some schools have deals where you can get 'sponsored' by an alumnus and that will waive your secondary fee.

Every school will tell you what they want on their webpage. Some schools have deals where you can get 'sponsored' by an alumnus and that will waive your secondary fee.

they won't consider you for an interivew till you do your secondary?

what are some prompts from the schools?

they won't consider you for an interivew till you do your secondary?

I don't believe they will — likely, your application would be considered to be "incomplete" until you submitted the secondary/supplemental portion.

I don't believe they will — likely, your application would be considered to be "incomplete" until you submitted the secondary/supplemental portion.

how important are secondaries. optomcas > secondary

right?

but the word limit is like 1000 characters or 250 words. so what do you write when they ask "why do you want to go to our school" etc etc

The secondaries if you're talking about the supplementary material that schools request you send them can be very important. Some schools will reject you if you do not have your supplementary application in by the deadline. Most will probably consider others who have done them over your application.

The secondaries if you're talking about the supplementary material that schools request you send them can be very important. Some schools will reject you if you do not have your supplementary application in by the deadline. Most will probably consider others who have done them over your application.
what do you mean supp "material"

Instead of asking all these questions of people you don't know and shouldn't rely on..........go on each school's website and read their "how to apply" page. All are very clear as to what they need before your application is considered complete. If after doing this you have further questions then call their admissions office.
It is, in fact, a good idea to find out what the prompts are for their secondary essays, so you can start working on those ahead of time. But these questions are too important to rely on people's answers on a forum. Do your own research, find out the prompts and what else they need, and at the same time start building a relationship with the admissions office people in your schools of choice.
P.S. And no, no school will grant you an interview without the secondary/supplemental having been submitted. If you don't submit it they will assume you are not really interested/have changed your mind or are trying to take shortcuts..........not a good impression.

Last edited:
Instead of asking all these questions of people you don't know and shouldn't rely on..........go on each school's website and read their "how to apply" page. All are very clear as to what they need before your application is considered complete. If after doing this you have further questions then call their admissions office.
It is, in fact, a good idea to find out what the prompts are for their secondary essays, so you can start working on those ahead of time. But these questions are too important to rely on people's answers on a forum. Do your own research, find out the prompts and what else they need, and at the same time start building a relationship with the admissions office people in your schools of choice.
P.S. And no, no school will grant you an interview without the secondary/supplemental having been submitted. If you don't submit it they will assume you are not really interested/have changed your mind or are trying to take shortcuts..........not a good impression.

as i have being reading these threads, I was looking on optomcas too =) and i found out some info. as many other people do, i'm taking the info here with a grain of salt, and using it as background info before I do my own research. thanks for the tip. but you're preaching to the choir here. lol

as i have being reading these threads, I was looking on optomcas too =) and i found out some info. as many other people do, i'm taking the info here with a grain of salt, and using it as background info before I do my own research. thanks for the tip. but you're preaching to the choir here. lol

If you take it with a grain of salt, then why do you post so many questions about OptomCas? Just do your own research and stop posting so many questions. Just about everyone else manages to fill out OptomCas without flooding the pre-optometry forum. If you are going to take the people's advice who post on here with a grain of salt, then stop wasting our time and yours.

If you take it with a grain of salt, then why do you post so many questions about OptomCas? Just do your own research and stop posting so many questions. Just about everyone else manages to fill out OptomCas without flooding the pre-optometry forum. If you are going to take the people's advice who post on here with a grain of salt, then stop wasting our time and yours.

I post so many questions because I can. So i can get some background info to base my research on. you do realize you wasted your time responding to this. and you yourself told me to do my own research. so I was doing both. last time i checked, if a post bothered you, you didnt respond....or wait...i guess only normal posters did that, so you're ok

what do you mean supp "material"
Whatever the school requires you fill out through their website. Or specific material that should only be sent to that particular school...

I post so many questions because I can. So i can get some background info to base my research on. you do realize you wasted your time responding to this. and you yourself told me to do my own research. so I was doing both. last time i checked, if a post bothered you, you didnt respond....or wait...i guess only normal posters did that, so you're ok

Maybe after you've finished applying you could compile something with all the Q/A you have gotten through sdn and other sources for future students =P