Secondary app demographic profile: First career?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Plastic156600sub3

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Strange question, I know, but for most people it'd be cut and dry.

I have a question from a secondary app:
If you answered yes to question 1, please describe your first career:

I got my degree and teacher certification for high school at the same time years ago. I worked for less than a year as a substitute teacher before having to start a totally different career path due to the economy.

I worked pretty much the whole rest of the time in the other career path. Since I only spent a little time in the teaching as a per diem worker, would it be logical for me to name my first career as what is technically the second, since it is the one I worked the longest with?

Sorry if this seems scrupulous...

Members don't see this ad.

How much space do you have? Did you list the teaching and/or certification in your ECs on AMCAS?

If you have enough room and answered yes to the second then you could give a brief mention that you spent a year as a sub teacher, with whatever relevant details about that, and then did X (spending most of the essay on X).

I think it's less important which you technically list as your first career and more about how you present what you did -- whatever you say, they're looking for maturity in your answer about what you did and how it shaped you.

How much space do you have? Did you list the teaching and/or certification in your ECs on AMCAS?

If you have enough room and answered yes to the second then you could give a brief mention that you spent a year as a sub teacher, with whatever relevant details about that, and then did X (spending most of the essay on X).

I think it's less important which you technically list as your first career and more about how you present what you did -- whatever you say, they're looking for maturity in your answer about what you did and how it shaped you.

Thanks! That's kind of what I was thinking. I put a snippet in there in transition to explain why I feel my second career is my first "real" career. ;)

You know, I worry a bit about this because I think I get tired of writing essays and I just want to skip past the hoops.

I think I have to get past the nit picky part and not be too afraid of it. Thanks so much once again!