secondary app question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Xinlitik

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Another pre-med in my lab mentioned that he is going to be doing some clinic hours this summer (he is applying in June) and will be adding them to his secondary application, but not his first (since they will not have been completed at that time).

Will the adcoms recognize these addendums to the secondary application?

Members don't see this ad.

Typically they only ask people what activities they will be doing in their application year if they are taking a year off. So more than likely he won't be able to express this in his secondary apps. I applied to 19 schools and didn't see an area on any of them for summer updates. If anyone else had a different experience, please correct me.

He can always submit an update letter to the schools saying hes been participating in X & X activities since submitting his primary application. They usually then attach a copy of the letter to the applicants application.

Members don't see this ad :)
All of the above information is great.

-admissions committee interviewer / senior medical student (32 days to go)

Last edited:
This is good to hear, thank you guys.

One final question: Is something I do in mid august too late to add?

If you think the experience is important, and not mentioned anywhere else in your application, update the schools/amcas. Most schools will accept updates well after August, just check with each school to see what they prefer (none, only until the deadline, anytime); I know that most schools will accept information on papers and posters that are published after the initial application was completed, you may have to send the information to specific email or address. You are competing against a lot of other applicants, and showing that you aren't resting while the applications process is just one more plus.
Just make sure the update is professional--a quick email that says "Hi! I'm so and so and I applied to your school. I wanted to let you know that the last month I've done 42 hours of reading to preschoolers--Thanks" isn't going to cut it, and don't deluge them with a fresh letter ever week.

Best of luck,

Ambam

If you think the experience is important, and not mentioned anywhere else in your application, update the schools/amcas. Most schools will accept updates well after August, just check with each school to see what they prefer. You are competing against a lot of other applicants, and showing that you aren't resting while the applications process is just one more plus.
Just make sure the update is professional--a quick email that says "Hi! I'm so and so and I applied to your school. I wanted to let you know that the last month I've done 42 hours of reading to preschoolers--Thanks" isn't going to cut it, and don't deluge them with a fresh letter ever week.

Best of luck,

Ambam

Haha, "I just read for 2 more hours. Thought you should know. Thx."

That is good to hear as well. I'll probably send one letter around July to inform them of my clinic hours and one more in August about the teaching position.

All of the above information is great. Another possibility is updating it on AMCAS. I am not sure about this upcoming cycle, but in past years applicants could make modifications to the activities section after submitting their application. Any schools that downloaded / received your primary application for review will be alerted that changes were made.

I would probably do this (if you can) in addition to sending a personal letter updating the school; that way you are assured that it gets received a couple different ways without being too pestering.

-admissions committee interviewer / senior medical student (32 days to go)

Not sure what the AMCAS was like when you applied, but both times I applied you couldn't change anything after you submitted except your contact information or adding schools.

Not sure what the AMCAS was like when you applied, but both times I applied you couldn't change anything after you submitted except your contact information or adding schools.

Woops.. sorry. I applied several years ago. I misread the new instructions. You are correct, you canNOT modify this part of AMCAS.