Secondary Application "additional information" question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

timmyboy213

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I apologize in advance if this question has been recently asked/addressed, but I could find no direct answer to my question(s) when searching previous threads. Additionally, I wanted to get a feel for what people's thoughts/opinions are on this subject.

On secondary applications, when asked for "additional information", what is the best use of this space? Currently, I use it to provide an update on activities since I submitted my AMCAS application and if there is room, I provide a description of why particular ECs of mine are important to me.

However, when left with additional words/characters after addressing these things, I feel obligated to use the space to explain why I am interested in their school.

Generally, do schools appreciate it when this "additional information" space is used to explain why I am interested in their school (assuming the question is not asked elsewhere), or is a waste of time? Do schools get annoyed reading additional information such as this? I feel that it can't hurt to show them you have actually done some research on their school, but I may be completely off the mark with this opinion.

Thus, if some people that know better than I do could shed some light, that would be awesome. Or, if you just have an opinion on what this space should be used for, please share!!

Thanks in advance!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Basically, if you have anything productive to put there, put it. It's not a requirement and I wouldn't use it to re-state anything they already know, but use if you have something important to update them on.

i made a 6 on the verbal section of the MCAT. in the additional info section of my secondary, i acknowledged this was a less than prestigious score and expressed how much of a benefit i could still be to their medical school's mission. it worked. i got in:)

Don't feel obliged to use every single character - longer isn't always better.