Secondary Application Time Line

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DaOddOne

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know the general rule is to get secondaries in within two weeks. Unfortunately, due to COVID I was unemployed from my main job for most of quarantine. However, since I had a part time, low wage job that I was still able to work a couple days a week, I didn't qualify for unemployment and my funds quickly ran low. I've thankfully been able to start my main job again, but I'm having to work crazy hours to pay for secondaries. At this point I have a large number of secondaries in my inbox that I'm trying to work through, but it doesn't look like I will get the majority of them in within two weeks of receiving them. I will obviously get them in ASAP, but is this something that I should mention in my secondary as to how COVID has affected this cycle for me? I don't want to sound like I'm making an excuse for something that might not be a big deal (turning them in a couple weeks later expected). I have been very fortunate to be only burdened with financial stressors during this pandemic and I don't mean to undermine anyone's less fortunate experiences during this time.

Members don't see this ad.

I think it's fine to mention the financial stress due to COVID, but maybe don't rationalize that the financial stress caused you to be unable to submit secondaries soon after receiving them. Connecting these two in your response might lead the schools to think you are giving excuses. I don't think submitting after two weeks is going to be a dealbreaker anyway, as long as you still submit early in the cycle, so no need to draw potentially negative attention to yourself.

I think it's fine to mention the financial stress due to COVID, but maybe don't rationalize that the financial stress caused you to be unable to submit secondaries soon after receiving them. Connecting these two in your response might lead the schools to think you are giving excuses. I don't think submitting after two weeks is going to be a dealbreaker anyway, as long as you still submit early in the cycle, so no need to draw potentially negative attention to yourself.
That's a good point. Thank you.

Given that this cycle is so unique, what would you consider to be early?