secondary deadline

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

heeseop

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
do many schools have secondary deadlines?
are the deadlines usually preferred or absolute?

Members don't see this ad.

bump.. anyone?

ranges from october to december depending on the school. they're on the websites.

pretty sure they're absolute.

earlier u submit the better so try not to come close to those deadlines.

Members don't see this ad :)
heeseop said:
i think practically every school has a deadline for the secondary. you should get them completed ASAP but schools will only accept them up until that deadline.

Erina said:
i think practically every school has a deadline for the secondary. you should get them completed ASAP but schools will only accept them up until that deadline.

beat ya to it! :p

and you totally just answered my "anyone else sitting here refreshing this page" question =)

i heard that some schools give you 2-4 weeks of time after you receive your secondaries. so for the people who submit AMCAS early, the deadline would be pushed up.

im not quite sure if this is true and i was hoping somebody could clear this up.

rush medical college gives you 30 days once you start the online application. but the online application can be started whenever, up to their "real" deadline i assume. it all depends on the school.

heeseop said:
i heard that some schools give you 2-4 weeks of time after you receive your secondaries. so for the people who submit AMCAS early, the deadline would be pushed up.

im not quite sure if this is true and i was hoping somebody could clear this up.

I've only received 3 secondaries so far. One has a deadline of December 1, one has a January 1 deadline, and the other just said "do it soon" but didn't require any essays. So none of these deadlines will be difficult to meet. Perhaps these 2-4 weeks are self-imposed deadlines for people who want to be early in the interview cycle, or maybe my secondaries are anomalies, I'm just not sure. You could probably check school's websites and find the information there.

heeseop said:

This definitely varies from school to school. Most of the secondaries I filled out requested that you returned them within two weeks or so. While they seem to merely recommend getting them back within that time-frame, I wouldn't push the deadlines too much. It really kind of reflects badly on you if you can't meet their deadlines, in my opinion.

heeseop said:
Case Western has a strict 2 week deadline.

I did not see a deadline for Georgetown?

Mazework said:
Case Western has a strict 2 week deadline.

I did not see a deadline for Georgetown?

That deadline isn't strict. It's preferred. (I hope so at least)

My advisor told me that some schools gauge your interest in them according to how promptly you turn in the secondary.

finally got VCU's...strict 45 days (even for LORs). after that, if everything isn't in, they will cancel your online app and reject you.

Last year, if I remember correctly:
*Northwestern had a strict 2-week deadline from the time they emailed you (actually, it was initially 1 week, then they extended it to 2)

*Loyola had a ~1 month deadline from when they snail mailed it

*Rush had a 30-day deadline from when you logged in to the online secondary (but you could see the questions in a link on the same page without logging in).

*Case had a ~2 week deadline (though there was some debate on whether it was "recommended" or "required" last year)

*Ohio State had a ~1 month deadline

*Southern Illinois had a ~2 week deadline from when they snail mailed you

Not sure if these are the same this year or not, or how strict they were, since I did them before the deadlines. Good luck, everyone! :luck:

thanks for the specific info!
that dog is soooo cute!! haha

the brown note said:
Last year, if I remember correctly:
*Northwestern had a strict 2-week deadline from the time they emailed you (actually, it was initially 1 week, then they extended it to 2)

*Loyola had a ~1 month deadline from when they snail mailed it

*Rush had a 30-day deadline from when you logged in to the online secondary (but you could see the questions in a link on the same page without logging in).

*Case had a ~2 week deadline (though there was some debate on whether it was "recommended" or "required" last year)

*Ohio State had a ~1 month deadline

*Southern Illinois had a ~2 week deadline from when they snail mailed you

Not sure if these are the same this year or not, or how strict they were, since I did them before the deadlines. Good luck, everyone! :luck:

heeseop said:
thanks for the specific info!
that dog is soooo cute!! haha

You're welcome! :) I looked over your list of schools, and the only other thing I can add that might help is that Pitt switched to rolling admissions last year. The screened secondaries started being released a little later than usual, and more slowly than in previous years. Hopefully, since this is the second year, it'll start more quickly! (Note: their Dean of Admissions passed away in Feb., and the Associate Dean took over, so I'm not sure if things will be the same this year or not.) I think they had an overall deadline for the secondary in January or something, but I certainly wouldn't wait that long! Interviews filled up fast and somewhat early (they were booking a couple months in advance, in some cases). Luckily, they hadn't changed their secondary essay prompts from the previous year, so I had my essays ready to go by the time they released the secondary to me. Good luck! :luck:

Gabujabu said:
My advisor told me that some schools gauge your interest in them according to how promptly you turn in the secondary.

I have been advised of the same. Just makes sense. If you really want to go somewhere, you focus on it.

Some schools definitely have a set deadline. I think a good rule of thumb is to try to turn them in 7-10 days from when you get them.

Hey, the brown note, does Loyola snail mail all their secondaries? Do you know when they start looking at people and sending those out?

Thanks! :thumbup:

clarabelle said:
Hey, the brown note, does Loyola snail mail all their secondaries? Do you know when they start looking at people and sending those out?

Thanks! :thumbup:

I don't know what they're doing this year, but last year, they were snail mailed and you had to snail mail your response back by the date stamped on the secondary (~1 month after I received it). I don't know when they start going through files, but I submitted AMCAS in late June (and was verified a week later) and received the secondary in early August. Hope that helps! :) Good luck! :luck: