Secondary Help & Feedback

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sfa59

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I was wondering if anyone would be willing to give me some feedback regarding one of my DO secondaries. I'm honestly just overwhelmed and confused and would really appreciate some constructive criticism on how to improve as well as where to start for one of the questions on my secondary. Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,
I was wondering if anyone would be willing to give me some feedback regarding one of my DO secondaries. I'm honestly just overwhelmed and confused and would really appreciate some constructive criticism on how to improve as well as where to start for one of the questions on my secondary. Thank you in advance!
Post the question on here and you may get some more help!

Hi there!

The most important thing you need to remember about secondaries is that they should be: (1) Quick: you must be clear and direct in your writing, (2) Concise: answer all the questions asked in the prompts, instantiating your points with examples, and (3) Coherent: use an academic format structure (introduction, 2 to 3 body paragraphs, conclusion). For some of the shorter secondary essays, introductory or concluding paragraphs may not be necessary or possible, but they should still have a clear opening, a main point illustrated by examples, followed by a closing. Something you will be pleased to know is that a secondary essay is not the place to use flowery language or a captivating opening sentence as you would in your PS. Remember the 3 items above and structure your essays that way. Remember that admissions committee members are going to read thousands of essays, and they are not going to spend a long time going over each (sad but true), so they need to be able to find the information they need even if just by quickly scanning the document. Hope this helps and best of luck!