Secondary "Material not included in rest of application"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DBC03

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am answering a prompt from a secondary and the last part of the prompt states, "The essay should discuss material that is not included in the rest of your application."

I included a lot about myself in the application and cannot find a way to answer the question without including something that was mentioned on the application in one of my activities. Would I be able to use something that was mentioned briefly and expand upon that? Or am I expected to come up with something completely new?

Members don't see this ad.

I am answering a prompt from a secondary and the last part of the prompt states, "The essay should discuss material that is not included in the rest of your application."

I included a lot about myself in the application and cannot find a way to answer the question without including something that was mentioned on the application in one of my activities. Would I be able to use something that was mentioned briefly and expand upon that? Or am I expected to come up with something completely new?
Follow the instructions: include information about yourself not included elsewhere. It can be challenging to come up with something novel, however, you can borrow a very tangential idea from your personal statement and elaborate on it. Say you were doing an activity and then you realized you wanted to pursue medicine. This essay is an opportunity to expand on said activity that drew you to medicine.

Reactions: 1 user
  1. Imagine you're starting from scratch and answering the question "Why should we admit you to our medical school?"
  2. Now come up with everything you want them to know about you -- hard facts and fuzzier 'general idea' items.
  3. Are there any items on your #2 list that haven't already been made clear on your other essays? Come up with an essay to illustrate those.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would like to expand on something I mentioned briefly within an activity description, not something in my PS or other places. It's something that's really important to me, but it's also something I haven't gone into detail on. Does that count? Or does the fact that it has been mentioned briefly in my activity mean I can't use it?

I would like to expand on something I mentioned briefly within an activity description, not something in my PS or other places. It's something that's really important to me, but it's also something I haven't gone into detail on. Does that count? Or does the fact that it has been mentioned briefly in my activity mean I can't use it?

Sounds very appropriate -- I'm assuming it falls into the "I want them to know this about me" category?

Sounds very appropriate -- I'm assuming it falls into the "I want them to know this about me." category?

It's basically an important part of my diversity essay (the question was on diversity). It has to do with my design background, and I included my design website as one of my activities. I feel like expanding on this is in that gray area - it includes many details not included in the activity, but it was something I mentioned. I think the way I responded answers the question without really going into anything included on my primary.